Redwood Rhodies + edit

Original

Edited to crop from top and reduce Exposure slightly in foreground

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On our return trip from Washington to attend our Daughters college graduation, my wife and I stopped for one night in the redwoods. I had about 4 hours to shoot the following morning before we had to check out and so I went to one of my favorite spots for mood and rhododendron’s. The rhodies were going off like I had never seen before and I made the most of what little time I had in one of my favorite places to shoot.

Specific Feedback

This was taken early in the morning so light was subdued and there was little wind. Should I clone out the little tiny specular highlights in the upper right third or leave it as natural? Is this too dark or about right?
Anything else that comes to mind? Thanks for taking a look and giving me your thoughts.

Technical Details

Z7ii, 24-70mm lens @ 44mm, ISO 800, 1/5th of a second, f/9, manual, tripod

2 Likes

This is truly beautiful David and to me the composition just works perfectly. The contrasting colours work well, although maybe I would try reducing exposure of the foreground green a tiddly wee bit.
For me, it is the contrast between the bright foreground flowers and the dark, gloomy, and lichen-covered branches in the background that really make this stand out.
I would love this on my wall. Cheers.

1 Like

Simply gorgeous image, David. The darkness of the BG works perfectly for me as it places more of an emphasis on the beautiful rhodie blooms. I can see why this is one of your favorite places; it certainly would be one of mine if I lived out west. My only suggestion; just my personal preference; would be to crop about 1/4 of the area above the rhodies. Additionally that would get rid of a couple of the highlights for you. I hope you have some more to show us.

1 Like

This is really nice David. I love the clean and simple composition and the darkish background really helps those blooms stand out. I like it a lot.

1 Like

This is very beautiful David! I love the contrasts and agree with Ed on his cropping suggestion.

@Phil_G , @Ed_Lowe , @Tom_Nevesely , @Eva_McDermott , Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions.

Phil: I will reduce the exposure slightly on the foreground green and repost. Thanks for your suggestion.

Ed: I will repost a new version tonight with your suggestion and Phil’s suggestion. Yep, it would get rid of a couple of those nasty highlights. I didn’t even think of that. Thanks, Ed!! Oh, I have so many that I don’t know which ones to show. Many of them are much moodier than this one because of the fog. I can be very indecisive, to the point that I don’t post anything. UGH!! :slight_smile:

Tom: I’m glad you like this as is. I’ll tweak it a little bit tonight with the recommended suggestions to see if we get a better final version. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks as always, Tom.
Eva: I’m glad you like this one. I’ll repost tonight with the suggestions above. Let me know if it works. Thanks again, Eva.