Redwood Rhodies 2 + requested Edit

Original Image

Edited per Jim Gavin and both Barbara’s suggestions

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here is another image from my Northern California road trip a few weeks ago. As I mentioned in my last post, I only had about 4 hours to shoot but the redwood Gods delivered for me. There was plenty of fog and Rhododendrons everywhere. The most difficult part was trying to frame things up cohesively as the redwoods can be quite chaotic at times. There was no wind and so hand holding was possible even though it was quite dark. The conditions couldn’t have been better.

Specific Feedback

I cooled this image from what the auto white balance gave me so I’m wondering if I pushed this too far toward blue and lost too much warmth? I was going for cool and foggy which it was but I just can’t remember what reality looked like (not that it matters). Anyway, let me know what you think about the colors and if you think it needs an adjustment because I’m not quite settled on it yet and you guys are always helping me see things that I miss. So, thanks in advance for taking a look.

Technical Details

Z9, 100-400mm lens at 140mm, ISO 2000, 1/400, f/6.3, hand held, manual

2 Likes

Everything looks good on my laptop. I would not change anything. Thanks for sharing your image.

David, you have captured what is so wonderful about the redwoods. I like the cool, misty look. It conveys what I would feel if I were there. I have only one suggestion. The very strong vertical lines of the main tree pull my eye out of the frame. I wonder if burning the truck at the top of the picture and even darkening it all away across the top would keep the eye on the rhododendrons. This is a really beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing it.

This would have been a good image without the rhoddies but the way they embrace the tree makes the tree more interesting. Initially I had the passing thought of cropping from above to emphasize the flowers but that would be all wrong. The misty top left area is an important part of the statement. The white balance looks good to me. As I recall the rhoddodendrons are actually cooler in real life but they are usually processed to look more lime green than cyan green, and that’s what you’ve done. I usually show up in July-Aug and perhaps the leaf colors have changed by then.

I think this is fabulous David! I have a bit of FOMO seeing everyone’s beautiful shots from the Redwoods. I’ve never been, but it’s next on my trip plans.

The image as a whole looks great, and I think your white balance looks spot on.

I do have a couple issues with it. These might be my lack of understanding what was happening there (you were there, I wasn’t), or your personal preferences are just different from mine. This is in no way an assault on your image, I do love it! But from my experience, the trouble folks have with woodland photography in general is isolating the subject in all the lovely chaos that we find in the forest. Here you have no trouble with that, that main tree is front and center. But, I wonder if it could use a little more contrast? The shot puts the viewer right in front of it, so it should be crisp and clear, but it looks a bit like the foggy background. Kind of making it blend in a bit with the background. And if that was your intention, please just ignore me. :grin: Hazy, less clear objects appear to recede, and sharp more contrast objects appear closer. My thoughts were to use a brush to create a mask and lower the darks and bring up the lights, just in that tree and just ever so slightly. Maybe try it, see if it makes a difference. If not, then no harm, no foul.

One more thing, and nothing can be done about it now, but the tree is overlapping the tree behind it. I wonder if you could have moved a bit to the right to create some separation between that front tree and the one behind it? Maybe something to think about for the next time you go into the woods. Sometimes there is nowhere else to stand, I totally get that. It’s just something I noticed.

But yeah, beautiful shot, the rhododendrons are some of my favorite. Nice pink flowers with the green foliage. What’s not to love?! Thanks for sharing!

Lovely photo, David. You sure did get just the perfect conditions for rhodies in the redwoods.

White Balance: not too cool IMO by any means. Looks just right.

Composition: Some might say the big tree is too centered and divides the image in two. In this case, I think the centered trunk works. The rhodies at mid-left are balanced by those in the lower right. The distant trees, both smaller and darker, add to the story of a mature growth redwood forest.

Print that one big and hang it on your wall. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I totally agree with @GregVaughn’s comments! Normally the tree in the center would be too static, but the rhododendrons on the left and the right embrace and frame the tree so nicely that between those three elements you have a really nice composition. I love the foggy mood of this scene as well. I’ve been up there many times, and it really captures the spirit of the place so well. Kudos to you!

Gorgeous and classic! No nits, but I think @Barbara_Djordjevic’s idea about the tree is worth a look – just a bit more contrast and saturation.

There is nothing better than redwoods, rhododendrons and fog! The WB looks fine to me, at least on this monitor.

David, I keep coming back to this image. My initial impression, and even after reading the suggested changes, is to leave it as presented. If you are printing it, I think the partial Rhodie bloom on lower right edge and the yellow leaf could be removed. Wonderful photo.

David, just stopping by to appreciate this one! I’ve been dreaming of coming to this area for a bit. I’ve got a window in late March that I’m hoping to fill…

I have to say that I am loving this image, David. Everything works perfectly in this scene. First off the pink rhodies compliment the greens perfectly and the BG fog is sublime and only adds to the mood you captured in this wonderful woodland image. The very subtle light on the FG is perfect. No suggestions from me as it doesn’t get any better than this. Beautiful capture!

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions @Ralph_Yakaboski , @Barbara_Djordjevic , @Igor_Doncov , @Barbara_Livieri , @GregVaughn , @brenda_tharp , @Diane_Miller , @Tom_Nevesely , @Jim_Gavin , @David_Wallace , @Ed_Lowe .

I’m certainly glad that you all liked this image. I’ve made the changes that Jim, Barbara Djordjevic and Barbara Livieri recommend. I’ve reposted at the top for you to compare. I think adding more contrast in the foreground really helped. I also darkened the top portion of the image and I’m not convinced about that change. Please let me know your thoughts on these changes.

It seems the white balance hit the spot so no changes there. Thank you for all your wonderful responses regarding the WB and also that the tree dead center works for you. At the time I was shooting I didn’t notice the background tree being partially covered by the foreground tree. I certainly could have stepped the right just a smidgen but I don’t know how large that background tree is so it may have worked and it may not have worked. I only had about 4 hours to shoot so I was running around trying to get as much as I could before having to leave. :frowning:
Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions on this image. I truly appreciate it.

2 Likes

FWIW my vote is for the original, Dave. I prefer the softer contrast as it just fits the mood better for me. I also like the lighter tones in the top half of the image in the original. There certainly is nothing wrong with the repost; I just prefer the softer tones and mood of the first post. You have a winner whichever way you go.

Wow, what an image, David. Congrats. I’ve been down there several times trying for what you landed. No such luck for me.

I agree with @Ed_Lowe, the initial post is my favorite.

Cheers,
David

I think your edits are fantastic! I’d have gone way overboard. :joy: But you did it just enough to create that separation. Bravo!!