Rimrock Lakebed.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A dam creates Rimrock Reservoir (commonly refered to as Rimrock Lake) which supplies irrigation water through the Yakima Tieton Irrigation District pipe lines and canals for use in the Yakima Valley. In fall increased releases for the benefit of fish (and provide wonderful whitewater kayaking and rafting opportunities) significantly lower its level creating some interesting views.

Specific Feedback

Any comments are appreciated.

Technical Details

5DMKIV; 24/70 @52; ISO 800; 1/400th; 9.0; WB: cloudy; spot.

1 Like

Fascinating image in its use of shadows. I think the bright top diminishes it somewhat. I would burn the bright areas a bit. The lighting is magnificent. There is an out of this world feel to this image.

Jim: What an interesting and fascinating scene. I love all the textures and lines as well as the play of light and shadow. For some reason I’m also attracted to the stumps knowing that at high water they would be completely invisible. Nicely seen, composed and captured. >=))>

REVISION

Igor, My attempt to follow your suggestion. Thank you.

Thank you. Revision below. Can’t remember how to post with original.

Bill, Thank you.

Jim, this is truly a very captivating image. I love the lines, curves, textures, and light. The revision you added, following @Igor_Doncov 's suggestion, makes the image better.

Here’s how you do it.

At the bottom of your post, click the pencil to edit the post. You are then taken to the edit mode of your entry. If you want the edited image to appear first, then I would suggest placing the cursor at the very top before the original image. Otherwise, just go the line after the original image and upload the new image. Since you are in edit mode, you can add new text before/after the images to make sure viewers know what the original and edited versions are.I hope this helps.

I marvel at this image the more I look at it. In addition to what I wrote I am impresssed by the scale that this suggests but does not have. It has the appearance and the qualities of a grand landscape. Reminds me of the Cinemascope creations of the 50s and 60s (Spartacus, etc).

This is super! The light is fabulous - even at a distance, we can see the textural details in the lake-bottom sediments. I love the way the warm/bright tones frame the cool/dark center of the lake. And the sense of scale is rather surreal. Darkening the top is a good idea.

Thank you.

Wow Jim! This is incredible. I know just about every comment mentions this but the light is excellent and the sense is scale is huge. I like the erosion lines throughout the image. The foreground slope gives a good sense of the water depth of the valley. Excellent image!

Jim, this is excellent! The lighting does a great job of showing off all of the shapes, curves and textures.

This image is a bit stealthy in that at first glance it didn’t grab me much. Pausing to soak it in, the scale and lines are captivating. I like @Igor_Doncov’s suggestion, and could also see dropping the lower left brightness a tiny bit to let the eye center in the image a little easier. This would be a fun image to view printed huge.

Otherworldly! In the smaller image the stumps could be something like a herd of buffalo. Or maybe nature’s homage to the tribe of people who lived there long ago. The shadows are wonderful! The larger ones look too well-defined to be clouds, and make me think they may be from some trees just offstage – an interesting thought, as they are reaching out to embrace the shadows of the stumps.

Apart from these details, there is a wonderful structure to the image, from the bank in the lower left down to the meandering riverbed. Well done! I like @Igor_Doncov’s idea to darken the top.

Thank you everyone for critiquing my image. Your comments and suggestions are very helpful. I did post a revision darkening the top as suggested by @Igor_Doncov , but did not post it with original. Sorry. @Egídio explained how so next time I will know how to do it. @John_Williams I lightened the lower left but wasn’t satisfied with it. If you want me to post it, no problem. Again, thanks to all. Great comments.

Jim, maybe I did not understand your quoted passage above. What I mentioned can be done at any point. Even after you post the image in the middle of the thread, you can go to your original post and add that photo there, too.

No need, thanks for offering though.

Jim,

I know I’m being repetetive, but this is fascinating, fantastic and simply a wonderful image. There are actually quite a number of reasons why this image is so beautiful and fascinating.

First, it’s all about the light (and shadows.) The late light (or early?) creating those long shadows from the stumps create a great element - almost a sub-story to the overall image.

Then there’s the graphic nature in general; the patters in the muddy lake bed, the lines and patterns throughout caused by the filling/draining of the lake over time.

Which brings to the actual story of the image (and thank you for the back story.) The stumps and where they sit in relationship to what would be the normal shoreline creates a wonder… a wonder of the past, what was this spot like 100 years ago, etc. etc. Another fascinating element that also involves the stumps is their presence at the top of the image. This really adds intrigue and I get the impression that the stumps and lake bottom go on forever… at least it implies that - so I’m glad you left the top in there.

Then there’s the colors… love the warm cool combo of wet, muddy central channel, combined with the warmer earth tones all around.

Lastly, the brighter rocky area on the left is perhaps draws the eye a bit, yet I think it’s important to the big picture. All in all, everything is working here and yes, a fascinating image.

Lon

I think your repost works beautifully. Thanks for taking the time to rework and post the edited version.

There is nothink that I can say in addition to the many excellent comments that you have deservedly received but I feel the desire to tell you how mach I love this beautiful image. A splendid image of a splendid location that I see for the first time.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful comments. I returned to the area yesterday morning (the earlier posted image was taken in the morning), and confirmed, as we all know, the conditions were not the same. However, the trees were frosted and water drops frozen, so it was not a disappointing trip.