Ring-necked Duck

I went back to the same pond as my last several posts yesterday. We had more cloud cover and things didn’t get quite as active but we did have this character that wasn’t there the previous time. He never got as close as I would wish and he tended to stay int he more shadowed part of the pond though it was getting a little light at this point.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC, tripod with ball head and Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/6400, iso 2000 (I wasn’t paying enough attention to the increasing light levels), manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5342x3608. Just a bit of cleanup on the background. The shoulder of the bird was on the verge of being blown, so I used a luminosity filter and levels adjustment and brought it down a bit further when I went back to LR with the local adjustment brush. Taken at 10:22 AM on March 17th.

Really superb image of this Ringnecked duck with wonderful lighting and composition. Water is really cool. I think you could probably get away with cloning out the Lily pad on the upper right side without losing the intent of the image. The Lily pad draws my eye away from the duck.

This pond is a gold mine for ducks. I wish there were fewer lily pads or that they were more mature with flowers. I’m sure we will get our opportunities. I’m starting to find that after a while the environment starts looking the same. But the light, which is at your back, is great there.

A very nice capture of the duck and a gorgeous BG and reflections. Of course, the viewer can never know what was out of the frame that determined the composition, but I long to see all of the wake behind the bird. I wouldn’t mind losing the space for the bird to move into, in order to balance the composition with more of the wake.

A nice low angle with excellent detail, a nice reflection and pleasing colors/reflections in the water.

Hi Dennis
You have a great lookingRing-neck Duck. You just losted a little detail in the whites. I would like to see a crop pushed up from the bottom of the frame, moving right to left. (The wake and reflection are very important part of this photograph.
Nice work.
Peter