Ring Necked Duck in some nice water

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Out to a local pond and had several ring necked ducks cruising around. The water was really pretty with the gold color coming from trees reflecting in the pond.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Olympus EM1-X, 300mm f/4, 1/2500, f/5.6, ISO 640. About 80% of full frame.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Wow – that’s a VERY nice duck in GORGEOUS water! I hate to even mention it, but I’d consider a slight crop from the top (or clone) to remove the darkish ripple top center. I’m not sure how anything could pull my eye away from the duck and the rest of the water, but it does, a bit.

It is gorgeous water. Glass like and lovely colors of gold and blue. Duck is nice and sharp and pulling into frame after what maybe was a bath.

Hi Keith
Keith, when I stop using my Canon 7Dll & Sigma 150-600mm, you are really talking into this Olympus EM1-X system. The detail and color are really nice. Good work.
Peter

Beautiful water with interesting patterns. Good detail in both the blacks and whites.

Hello, Keith, lovely light and these patterns in the water always add enormously to the overall image. Nice work ! Best, Hans

Hi Keith,

The colors captured in the water are very nice. The drake ring-necked duck is almost in full breeding plumage and goes well with the colorful water I think the head color of the duck would look better in diffused light, but the water would certainly not look as good under those conditions. This photo turned out to be a very nice artistic presentation. Well done…Jim