Ring-Necked Duck

Full Frame at a different pond than I usually shoot at, in a city park where there are
usually just mallards, etc.
Today on a bike ride I find the pond with a bunch of wild ducks, buffleheads, Scaup and this beauty
which is a first for me.
Another pond that you can lay right on the water.

D500, 500mm (300 w/2x), 1/320, f5.6
Whites a tad blown, water is the color shown.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is very nice, Dan. Lovely tones in the duck and gorgeous water. I see the slight loss of detail in the shoulder whites, but it’s only noticeable because I’m looking for it. There are techniques for painting some texture in there without altering the color, if you want to go to the trouble.

Hi Dan,
Really nice capture. I like the low angle and being able to see the full profile of the duck. Nice green water. The whites don’t look that bad to me - I think you may be able to eek out more detail with some more post processing there. The distinctive eye of this duck is very nice.

Beautiful shot with great detail and surroundings. That low angle is so nice!

I really like the dark muted tones on this. And it looks like it was taken under cloudy skies. Good job on the dark feather plumage with respect to detail the eye is outstanding. Also really like the water and how it blends in with the background.

Nice species, wonderful POV. On my screen I see some ‘oily’ patterns in the BG - did you use some noise reduction ('cause that sometimes creates these things)? Other than that a fine image ! Cheers, Hans

Nice take on the duck, Dan, and exposure looks good to me. I wouldn’t hesitate to add a fair bit of canvas on the right.