Ripples Above and Below

Shot on the Oregon coast a few months ago. What immediately drew me to this scene was the ripples in the foreground sand as well as the ripples in the clouds in the sky. I also liked the water draining back out to sea on the right side of the image that leads the eye to the sea stacks in the ocean.

Specific Feedback Requested

Should this be warmed up just a bit or is the temperature about right?

How about the debris in the bottom foreground. Distracting? I think it leads to a natural looking image that isn’t so antiseptic but I do have another version with a cleaner foreground but not as many ripples in the sky. Let me know if you’d like to see that for comparison.
Also, I kept the shadows very dark on purpose. Does it work for you?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon Z7ii, 24-70mm lens @ 37mm, IOS 50, 2.5 seconds @ f/11 no filters

5 Likes

I am really enjoying this one, David. Great foreground ripples and color, matched nicely by the sky. I would be inclined to clone out the foreground debris. The shadows look good, with the silhouette look working for me. This one has a fine tranquil feel.

Beautiful image, very nicely executed with some great colors :heavy_heart_exclamation:
I really like how clouds too look like waves and complement the pattern.

A beauty…particularly enjoy the effects of the slow shutter speed. Going there in May and this image really tweaks my excitement.

2 Likes

I really like the deep blacks you chose to use. I think that works well here. This is a really fine image and your concerns are really about very minor matters. I suppose removing those small rocks would improve it an iota but you have to look hard to notice them. Great composition. I agree with the ripples in wet sand. They always add a lot to beach seascapes. There’s also an almost natural vignette working for you here.

I think that this looks wonderful just the way it is. I really enjoy the colours and feeling of being on that beach at sunset really comes across through the image.

David,
This has a really serene feel to it and looks like the perfect way to end the day. The shadows look just fine to me and I am enjoying the way the cloud formations are mimicking the ripples in the sand. My own personal taste would be to clone out the rocks; even though they are small; as I feel they interrupt the flow of the ripples. Either way you go this is a fantastic image!

This is an exquisite image, well done! I do however agree with others, and as you mentioned, I would remove the rocks/debris in the foreground. It is a bit distracting. The comp and color is amazing!

You were wondering about warming it up (white balance). I think one thing that works really well here are the blues along with the oranges, the cool with the warmth. I also like the contrast of the sharp clarity of the reflection in the foreground with the softness of the clouds. One could warm it up or increase the saturation, but it would lose the subtlety and nuance.

Excellent image. I really can’t add anything that hasn’t already been said. I’m just sitting here and enjoying the scene.

1 Like

This is a very fine image David. Besides the serene mood it evokes, it has a quiet beauty about it.

I’m late here but have to add that I love the image as it! The small amount of debris looks natural and not distracting, and actually caused me to notice the very interesting small ripples in the reflection of the large rock on the right. Composition and color are wonderful!

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I have been busy this last week with work so I haven’t been able to reply but I am thinking about removing the rocks in the foreground to see if I like it better. That seemed to be the big takeaway from your comments. Glad you all enjoyed this one. I was only there for two evenings and the first evening rewarded with beautiful light but the second was a grey out. Good for black and white. I may post one or two of those images to see what you think. Thanks again @Harley_Goldman , @JRajput , @Mario_Cornacchione , @Igor_Doncov , @Tom_Nevesely , @Ed_Lowe , @scott_fenton , @Rick_Alway , @David_Bostock , @Eva_McDermott , @Diane_Miller.

Great image David. Would not change a thing.

1 Like

Geez, David. I never saw this. Outstanding. A landscape that feels like an abstract. Reminds me a little of Canadian painter Lawren Harris.

No need to apologize Kerry. I miss images all the time and am late to the party frequently. LOL
I’ll have to check Lawren Harris out. Thanks for that Kerry. I always appreciate your input.