River bottom sunset

This is one from a recent evening stroll down to the river near where we live. We had some nice light that evening, so I took along my camera. I was in a follow the light type of mood and just explored the early spring woods that border the water rather than looking for specific subject trees. It’s a bit experimental, so I’m still forming my thoughts on the image and wanted to get some feedback from the community.

Specific Feedback Requested

Thoughts on the image as a whole. Does it work? Are the messy deadfall from the winter and the new growth of grass in the LLC distracting?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fuji X-T4 with the 100-400 at 211 mm, handheld. Shot at ISO 400, f6.4, 1/125. Processed in Capture 1 with a radial gradient added to the middle of the image to make some WB and color adjustments in the center, a linear gradient at the top to pull back the sky, and a simple vignette to the background layer.

2 Likes

I like natural looking forest scenes like this. Despite being chaotic with the deadfall you’ve found a pretty strong composition with the vertical trees on both sides separated by the opening in between. I do think the bright green in the LLC is a bit distracting. Overall, I like the “walking through the woods” feeling.

1 Like

My problem with this image, Adam, is that I don’t know what it is about or where to look. Sure, it is a picture of the forest but what is it about? You said you were following the light. So, if that is what this picture is about for you then it is your responsibility as the photographer to direct my attention and guide me in how I read the image. Personally, I can see that the light is there but I think you have to do more with it in post. Naturally, I don’t mean “crank up the contrast”. Rather I’d be looking for ways to give the image more “glow” that would draw my eye into the scene. I could do that with brightness, contrast, possibly clarity but also by giving the the trunks of the trees more clarity and contrast so that they act more dramatically as framing elements, which would again, guide my eye into the frame. Actually, the more I look at this image the more convinced I am that it has “good bones” but also that it needs more of a helping hand - that there are choices to be made that, as yet, haven’t been made. I hope this helpful.

2 Likes

Adam, I like the mood of this lighting. I am drawn to the center deadfall due to the radial gradient and the vignette but it does seem a bit complex.

2 Likes

Adam, I can see what attracted you to this scene, and my thoughts are very similar to those of @Kerry_Gordon. I think it’s the light on the fresh yellow spring leaves that are the primary appeal of this image, and the more you can do to enhance that element, the stronger this image will get. In addition to the points Kerry discussed, I would also consider a tighter crop that eliminates the white sky, it’s brightness pulls me away from the leaves. A crop from the right could also eliminate the tree on the right edge that is cut off. As Kerry also mentioned a “glow” would enhance the leaves, so this image might be a good candidate for use of the Orton effect for the soft glow look.

1 Like

I really like where you were going with this lovely woodland scene, Adam. The clutter does not bother me as forests are messy by nature. I have a few tweaks in mind and I hope you don’t mind, but here is a rework that highlights the good stuff; at least to me. I would crop a little from the left and right sides as well as the top to get rid of the sky. I also brought up the saturation of the yellows a little to make them a little more prominent. This may not be your vision so disregard my thoughts if you wish. This looks like a really interesting place to visit and as an added bonus it is close by.

3 Likes

This is a very natural looking scene. I quite like what @Ed_Lowe did with it, although I would cut way back on the greens in the LLC. The original seems a little gray and depressing to me. My take, anyway.

2 Likes

There have been some good comments here. I agree with virtually everyone that the greens need to be subdued. I really like @Ed_Lowe‘s rework but as he himself says it’s quite a change in interpretation and may not be the authors intention, which is more subdued. And finally kudos to @Kerry_Gordon’s approach to critiquing which addressed the intent of the image and whether it is clearly stated.

1 Like

Adam,I should let everything stay as it is. In my opinion the clear sky and that bit of green are making the image alive. To me it’s not a distraction but keeps my attention just at the middle part, witch is beautiful in color and composition. MHO.

1 Like

@Michael_Lowe, @Kerry_Gordon, @Mario_Cornacchione, @Ed_McGuirk, @Ed_Lowe, @Harley_Goldman, @Igor_Doncov, and @Ben_van_der_Sande,

Thank you all for your input and feedback. I’ve attached a rework below.

I appreciate Kerry’s thoughts and agree. I think more glow was warranted. I started over on the image and took it into Ps to rework it. I started with a “Make it glow” action in the TK panel to see how cranking up the yellows would look. I used a mask to limit the adjustments to the foliage and backed down on the opacity to reduce the effect as it was too strong initially. I wrapped it up with a bit of dodging and burning and a light orton effect to soften it a bit because it was missing some of what I felt was a painterly look in the original. Still going to tweak some after giving it some time to marinate. Thanks again to you all for your critique.

1 Like