Woodland Sunset

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: EOS 7D, 10-22 @ 12, 1/250 @ f8. ISO 250

Much rain here through the autumn - this wet woodland area has been opened to flood waters from the river Mersey, and I could only shoot this over a wall keeping people out from the flood waters.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

This is a very peaceful scene, Ian. I like the mood, but I am finding the bottom tight. I suspect something unsightly was lurking down there?

Harley - thanks for the comment. It was the wall I mentioned in my caption !!!

Very nice image, Ian. This exudes calmness IMHO. Aside from being tight on bottom as @Harley_Goldman mentions, which you had no control over, I’m being super nit picky and would like to see the fence post ? on the right removed.
:vulcan_salute:

I like the concept of this composition, with the 4 trees, each one getting progressively lower as they lead your eye to the line of the hedgerows. I’m just not finding the bottom of the image very attractive, it feels too cut off, especially on the left-most tree. You mentioned the fence, I’m assuming it must have been too unattractive itself to be included. Was there no way to get right up to it and shoot over it? I was going to suggest cropping from the bottom, but I’m not sure that works too well here either.

Ian,

I’m with Harley in that the scene is quite peaceful and I’m really enjoying the diversity of color and contrasts. Honestly, I don’t get the impression of a flooded area - I think more of a personal related experience rather than capturing a literal event or scene - if that makes sense. In other words, it’s lovely just as presented without knowing there was any flooding going on.

I would agree with the others about the bottom - and of course understand your contraints with the wall immediately below. for me, I think the greens at the bottom are a little too green/vibrant. I think perhaps if you toned down the saturation and luminosity a tad, they would attract less attention and perhaps not be so much of a concern. Just a thought. Otherwise, I’m really liking the other colors and the warmth reflected through the trees.

Lon