Rock pool

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I personally think this is one of my few successful attempts to capture the flow of water using a longer exposure. What I am less certain of are the white balance setting and crop. I deliberately chose a bluish tint to convey a sense of coldness, and eliminated what I considered to be distractions from the frame.

Technical Details

Alan, you’ve got a fine sense of mystery here. The bluish tint doesn’t bother me, although I would experiment with different white balances to see which one I liked best. Having the main rock centered looks good as there’s a strong back and forth eye motion between the bottom and that rock. If this is cropped, that placement is also something to experiment with. I do think that there’s extra emptiness at the top and that leaving about half of that off wouldn’t change the feeling or the viewing.

BTW, since you didn’t add this week’s tag I’ll have a hard time finding this view when it comes time to make my weekly editor’s pick.

1 Like

Pretty cool photo image, Alan. It was well done.

1 Like

Engaging image Alan. Beautiful soft, subdued colours and light. I would try cropping about a half off the top.
The shutter speed works well to create a nice misty mysterious effect.

1 Like

Thank you for the constructive and thoughtful feedback, Mark. Sorry, I thought I added the tag. Can I still add it?

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks Dean.

Thanks Andre. I’ll try your suggested crop.

Hi Alan, your image drew me in. I like the emptiness at the top of the frame and think it adds to the cold mysterious mood.

1 Like

Thanks for the positive feedback, Steve.