Rocks on the beach

Description:

This is from Christmas Eve last year - decided to take a trip out to the beach and captured this in addition to some nice action shots of surfers. I liked the contrast of colors and lights/darks in the rocks. Not really a macro shot, so apologies if there is a better category for me to post in!

Specific Feedback Requested:

Anything! I know that the sharpness varies quite a lot across the frame, likely because I was using a kit lens.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite?
No

1/160s
f/8.0
ISO 125
90mm

1 Like

Matthew, I am sorry I have been busy this morning and hadn’t had a chance to view and comment. I like this. The contrast in colors and shapes are really nice. It probably works here in macro, but could be in landscape as a small scene. I have no problems with it here. I sure do love the contrast in the white stone against the darker colored stones. Your composition works well too.

1 Like

Hi Matthew! I really like all the shapes and sizes and colors of the stones! Nicely seen!

1 Like

Nice Matthew. Good eye to see the contrast in tones, colors and shapes as well. I might prefer a bit more room for the white rock but personal choice. The lens did a good job.

1 Like

Simple and strong composition! The BG stones have great colors. The major stone is handled very good, having some texture.

1 Like

Matthew, this is a fine looking shot, with the contrast between the big bright triangle and all of the colorful pebbles around it working very well. It’s unlikely that the “kit” lens is the source of the changes in sharpness, since a poor lens would be sharp in the center and get softer towards the edges. I suspect that you were getting close to its minimum focus, so the changes in sharpness (which are subtle) are due to the tiny depth-of-field. In the largest view, everything is just a tiny bit soft, even the dark spots on the big triangle. This is well seen.

1 Like

@Shirley_Freeman @Vanessa_Hill @David_Leroy @Ola_Jovall @Mark_Seaver thanks for your kind words and feedback! Mark, I think you may be right that the softness is due to DoF instead of lens fall-off, thanks!

1 Like