Rocky Chimney - Edit

Added color version based on recommendation below to show the impact of B&W

Rocky Chimney

Have you ever looked behind you and something amazing grabs your attention?
this was me while hiking up to Chester Lake in the Canadian Rockies (a beautiful alpine lake). I looked back and saw the clouds emanating from the Peak of Mount Sir Douglas.
I stopped to capture this patched light scene and the cloud movement. used my ND filter to get longer exposure for a time lapse the averaged all images (250) in photoshop to get this cloud shape.

Specific Feedback Requested

for the first time I looked at the scene and said to myself “this is going to be a nice B&W long exposure image”.

I wonder what you think of the conversion? Did i go over board with the B&W?

Any other feedback is welcome! Don’t hold back.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
I am not sure if it would be a composite. I just averaged multiple images to get a long exposure look on the cloud.

@arefalragehi
6 Likes

Love it, Aref. I don’t know much about your conversion process, but when I saw the photo all I could think of was “WOW!” Looks like a gorgeous place to visit. Very nicely done.

1 Like

What a beautiful image. Your choice of B/W is perfect.

1 Like

Nothing Fancy just a PS Black and White adjustment layer.
The only thing i have done before converting is process it as a color image and try to separate colors and tones before converting.

1 Like

This is lovely.
I really like your composition here and the B/W conversion work really well here.
The way the cloud “embrace” the mountain makes the picture.
Very nice.

1 Like

Wow! This is a gorgeous image! It’s almost like the cloud is trying to upstage the mountains! And it’s doing a pretty good job! Black and white is perfect!

1 Like

Amazing! Your choice for long exposure and B&W are exactly what the image needs! Bravo.

1 Like

A simply stunning image, great work Aref. This is alpine drama at its finest.

Both the composition and the processing are top notch. This a masterpiece of a B&W. I’m normally not a big fan of black skies in B&W, but in this image, with this light, the black sky works perfectly. The sky is what makes the light on the mountain tops work so well.

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk honestly I was doubting the deep black in the sky but i felt the same way as you described, it made the light pop.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

It’s fantastic how the concave curvature of the trees at the base works with the convex curve of the cloud. Well done!! The B/W conversion is lovely. The amount of sky on top, however, makes the trees at the bottom feel a bit crowded.

1 Like

Gorgeous image, the B&W worked perfectly. The light on the peaks created a lot of interest to channel the eye after gazing at that amazing cloud.

Can see this image work great on a glossy paper print.
Thanks for sharing, cheers

1 Like

Just to show folks here the power of good B&W processing, it might be interesting to show the color image as a point of reference for what you were able to achieve via B&W.

1 Like

Thanks for picking my image :grin:

Congratulations on the editors pick. I just noticed the color version which is wonderful, but the B/W is definitely my favorite.

1 Like