From the Mountain Tops + Rework

REWORK (bring up the foreground detail):

ORIGINAL:

I like to practice photography-by-fooling-around (I think I picked up that expression from Brooks Jensen on a Lenswork podcast). This is the result of fooling around to see what the moving clouds would look like with a very long exposure (30 seconds in this case). We’d been waiting around for the sun to appear through the clouds that lingered after the overnight storm and it finally did. The storm had given us some snowy peaks which made for dramatic lighting when the sun appeared.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome. I’m fairly happy with this, but there’s always room for improvement. :slight_smile:

Technical Details

a7r3, 73mm, f/16, 30s, ISO 200, CP and ND filter. Converted to b&w because I wanted high drama.

4 Likes

I like the Processing a lot, excellent B & W treatment… The cloud movement is too much for me, takes my eyes off the terrific mountain range.
If you had more mountain and less sky it would help for me.

Black and White works nicely for the mountains although I wish I could see a bit more into the darkest tones.

I find the clouds a distraction to the image. They just don’t do it for me on this one.

B&W is perfect for this shot, Bonnie. Well done. This has a lot of drama and the movement of the clouds make it over the top. Awesome.

And in the age of the digital camera, why not? Experimentation by default can and most often lead to failure… but of course also leads to great success. And I think you’ve done that here.

Yes, the clouds take center stage simply bcause of the movement. And while small and subtle, I find the clouds coming off the taller peak on the left give me the impression of an active volcano with steam escaping off the top.

I like the dark treatment and contrast in the sky - and snow capped peaks too.

While this is about the motion of the clouds and the mountain peaks, the only suggestion I have might be to raise the luminosity in the foothill aspen groves. I’m assuming those lighter trees are aspens? I could see raising the generally at the bottom to bring out some interest and maybe help anchor the scene? Just a thought.

Lon

Brilliant idea and execution. Drama certainly is there!

Thanks, @Dan_Kearl, @Keith_Bauer, @David_Bostock, @Lon_Overacker, and @kerry4 for your thoughts and appreciation.

Dan and Kieth - you would prefer more mountains, but I was deliberately aiming to show cloud movement for this one. I have others with more mountains.

Yes, I noticed this relationship when I set up the framing.

I will post a rework incorporating your suggestion. Maybe that would address Dan and Kieth’s comments, also, by bringing out more of the mountains. I didn’t want to take away from the clouds, but they are so striking perhaps bringing back some of the aspens isn’t a big deal. Thanks!

Thanks Bonnie for taking the time to consider the feedback. I very much like the added luminosity in the trees/foreground. I guess at this point it’s a matter of personal preference in what you want story you’re trying to tell. Clearly, and you said it was about the clouds… so perhaps maybe about 60% of your increase - some compromise? (sorry, very wish-washy on this!)

Yah, probably somewhere in between. I often go too far on the rework, but it’s not obvious until I post it next to the original online. It’s too bright now, and has lost the original mood.

1 Like