Roseate Spoonbill

Seen last week at a rookery in Louisiana. I know the background has a lot of texture but I like the way it plays with the pink bird here. I was fortunate there weren’t any nesting birds in the BG also.

Canon 7D2, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x TC III, monopod
ISO 800, f5.6, 1/2000s

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What a great in flight shot, Allen. Very impressive. The color and the details are really nice. Love the out of focus green background, making the Spoonbill stand out nicely. Well done.

Beautiful in flight shots. And I really like the green vs pink contrast here, Allen. I don’t mind the texture in the BG at all. It goes really well together with the bird. My only nit is probably to darken the lighter leaves on the UL corner but that is really nitpicking.

IQ is really good. Near wing is excellent. Exposure was spot on. I also like the textured background, but I’d run another round of NR on it. I also think the bird could handle a touch more sharpening?

Another excellent flight shot with superb color and detail. The contrast between the pink and green is really fine.

Excellent, Allen. I like texture in the background as long as it’s not distracting and this isn’t. Very nicely done.

Another nice flight image, Allen. Good exposure on the bird that stands out so well against the greens. They’re always such a blast just to watch even I can’t get good shots. Looks like ideal subdued sunlight conditions, and I’m curious to know what your exposure comp was for this. It’s been a year (too long) since my last visit, so I’m headed over that way next week, and hoping it’s not too late in the season.

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the comment and I’m glad you can make it over to the rookery. I don’t think it will be too late as there was still a lot of stick gathering going on when we were there last week.
I’m not sure what the exposure compensation was on this shot. I shoot birds in flight exclusively in manual mode and for proper exposure I use highlight alert notifications. I use settings which barely eliminate all the blinkies on the whites. That’s the plan anyway.
Hope you have a great trip.