Ross's Goose

A rare vagrant in Europe, this Ross’s Goose. Could be an escape, but it doesn’t have any bands on it and we do get the occasional lost bird. I visited the bird several times, but it was mostly far away. Last week I was lucky, as you can read in my blog on this goose: https://www.hansoverduin.nl/rosss-goose-nl/. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions. Cheers, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/1000s | f5 | ISO560 | overexposed 2/3EV | handheld

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Really lovely and clean image. When I clicked through to your blog, I noticed you flipped this image horizontally. I’m not sure which version I prefer, but I might slightly pick this one, I’m not sure why haha.

Your classic low angle worked very well here Hans. I also like the horizontal flip. It’s interesting how some images want to be flipped, even though there’s nothing obvious caling for it.

1 Like

I like the low point of view and the framing between the blurred water. I, too, seem to prefer this “flipped” version. I wonder if this is because we are used to reading left to right. I notice that when I look at this image I see the goose and then look off to the right, as if following it’s gaze, but in the version on your website my eye goes straight to the goose and stays there.

1 Like

An excellent observation, Allen. I didn’t take the time to really observe my own response to the image. Well done.