Royal or Elegant Tern?

Image taken at Laguna Madre, South Padre Island -March 2018

What technical feedback would you like if any? Aside from needing help with ID, I’m mostly wondering about the bird being too large in the frame. I could add some canvas on the left side if it would make for a more pleasing image.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any comments are always appreciated.

Any pertinent technical details:

5 D Mark III
Canon 500 mm
1.4 teleconverter
f 8
1/800
2/3 ev
iso 400
truck used as blind

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

No image here, Paula. Did you use the upload icon and browse for it?

:exploding_head:

The distinct kink in the lower beak and the location say Royal, Paula. I think I’d go with some more room, top, bottom and left. The top and bottom are particularly crowded and you might as well add to the left to keep a nice aspect ratio.

I am the wrong one to ask about tern species, so I’d defer to Dennis! As far as the image goes, I like this. The pose and the reflection are very nice. Image quality is good, and the setting serene. The image does feel a bit tight; more room all around, as Dennis suggests, is a good idea. I also think the image is a little underexposed. I’d selectively brighten the bird but not the surrounding area.

Thanks to Dennis and Lyle for your helpful suggestions.

I’ve added some canvas and brightened the tern somewhat as suggested. Thanks, again!