Forster's Tern

Came across a small flock of terns who seemed more interested in gliding on the updrafts than going after fish, but it made for some nice shots.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I have given thought to recomposing this shot to a vertical format but feel that it may be “too” long. Thoughts?

Technical Details

D500, 60-600 Sigma @340mm (510 equiv with crop factor), f/6.3, 1/4000, ISO 640, +.33 EV

Very little in the way of post. Standard ACR for highlights, PS for crop, ON1 for noise reduction.

1 Like

Hi Chris, I like this. The wing spread is terrific, especially with the lighting on the near wing. Comp wise, I like the width, but if you have a bit of room for the bottom that would be nice too. If you’re of a mind too, I’d suggest doing a touch of dodging of the eye to make it a bit brighter and prevalent.

Wonderfully sharp image too.

1 Like