Angelic

I love this Forster’s Tern. It was hovering about 20 feet above the water, looking for fish to eat, and then would plunge down into the water for its catch. I love the light, color, and fluttering wings.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

With the sun coming from the left, there’s no glint in it’s eye, which I always prefer.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 w/ 200-500mm f/5.6 lens. 1/60 second, f/14, 480mm, ISO 100. Edited in Lightroom with a little noise reduction in Topaz Denoize AI.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

I love this Mark. Just enough motion blur to give this an ethereal look in the wings while keeping the head and feet relatively sharp. Extremely well done. Maybe just a tiny bit more room on the right side of the image to give it some breathing room???

This is quite lovely Mark. For me, it has a some what surreal feel due to the misty blur of the birds wings which blend so well into the background. Great capture.

Creative image. Well seen. I think you could probably improve the color balance a bit as I am seeing blue cast on some of the white plumage and in the background. My only other suggestion would be to have more room around the bird.

An Awesome image, Mark. I love the way the wings disappear and your choice of shutter speed was perfect for this image with the head and bill nice and sharp and the motion blur increasing as you move away from them. The background really worked for you in this image as well. I love it.

@David_Haynes, @linda_mellor, @David_Schoen, and @Dennis_Plank, thanks for taking a look and sharing your thoughts. I cropped it close to get the face as visible as possible…maybe went in too far. Appreciate your time!

I really like the creativity and thought that went into this shot. An excellent idea well executed.

1 Like

I like the color palette, the watercolor feeling and the background is blurred just at the right amount… and the tern is of course splendid. Excellent image, I like also the tight crop.

1 Like

This looks like an impressionist era painting. I would not worry about the eye. Little more space on the right will strengthen the comp. I especially like the bright colors…Jim

1 Like

I’m usually not a huge fan of bird photos, but this one is just spectacular!

1 Like

@David_Leroy, @Antonello_Provenzale, @Jim_Zablotny, and @Tony_Siciliano, thanks for your kind feedback! I love this for all the reasons you said!

Based on the thumbnail, I thought this was going to be a little too bright. But I really like it. It has a such a surreal quality. My thoughts mirror Jim’s.

1 Like

This is gorgeous, Mark! Very well done indeed to get the head sharp with this shutter speed, which makes the wings into those of a fairy. Beautiful BG too, though I agree with previous comments that the bird is a bit too tightly framed.
Grt, Ingrid.

1 Like

Thanks @Ingrid_Vekemans. I love those fairy wings!