Ethereal Tern

I went out practicing panning shots of Elegant Terns. The sky was gray and overcast so I decided to edit this as High Key. I like how the blurry wings kind of blend into the background, resulting in softness and a dreamlike, ethereal quality…as if the Elegant Tern is entering another world.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything!
Question: I normally like a bit of vignette, but didn’t in this case because the vignette seemed to detract from the Hi Key look.
What do you think about vignettes in hi key images?

Technical Details

1/320 second, hand held, 470mm, f/7,1, ISO 100.

Lightroom edits of the Whites, some raising of shadows on the underbelly, and some sharpening of the head area. Then a bit of Orton Effect in Photoshop to add just a hint of ethereal glow.

2 Likes

I really like what you did with this image, Mark. The high key presentation with the wings almost blending into the background really worked. Well done.

1 Like

I absolutely love your terns, Mark! I’ve been wondering when we get another one of your photos of them! I love the sharpness of the face and eye contrasted with the blue of the wings showing the speed. I totally agree with @Dennis_Plank . I really love the high key look, it goes really well with a black and white bird. Beautiful capture!

High key total works here, Mark. Well done!

My $0.02 worth, the very light and clean image does not need any vignette. Love it just the way it is.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I know this style is not everyone’s cup of tea. I’m glad you see some of the things I did, so thanks!

1 Like

Well done high key image. The fish in the beak is what makes the shot work.

1 Like

Thanks David!

I like this comp as presented. The fish is a species of anchovy, and the prey strengthens the comp. Awesome as presented…Jim

1 Like

Thanks @Jim_Zablotny. I didn’t know the species of fish!

Hi Mark, very well done! I like this image as is. High key look works quite well and achieves the effect you described.

1 Like