What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7100
Lens: Nikon 18-70mm @27mm
ISO 200
.125 sec @ f8 on a tripod

6000 x 4000 cropped to 5199 x 3282

This was taken on a very cloudy day shortly after sunset

I have several that I processed from this set. To me the light, the calmness of the water, the slight mist, and the clear reflection were all very appealing to me. This is the lake view from my home.

I am more of a bird, insect, wildlife, macro person. Landscapes don’t seem to come as naturally to me. I would appreciate any helpful advice or suggestions.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.Uploading: DSC_6531-3.jpg…

David,

You’ve got a lot going for you with the symmetry and mirrored reflection. These things alone make for a strong and compelling image. No fault of yours, it’s too bad the conditions were anything other than gray. The mist on the right works well and the overall mood is carried in to the trees with that misty atmosphere.

I think it’s one of those cases where added contrast, color, or saturation wouldn’t improve things. It’s the mood, the atmosphere and conditions (along with the symmetry) that make this image work.

I think you did well to capture the mood and atmosphere.

Is that a little rookery atop the tall tree? Or mistletoe?

Lon

Thank you for your comments. You have a good eye. There is indeed a little group of turkey vultures in that tree. I had not seen them gather there before that evening.

I will echo Lon’s comments. Upon initial viewing I wished the taller trees on the left 2/3rds carried on across the image, but on further reflection, no pun intended, I like the long horizontal V composition.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Greetings, David. I apologize for the late reply. I have been away for the last 10 days or so. I have taken many shots like the one you have here. The calm water, the reflection, the green foliage, that wonderful mist. Those elements are very appealing- but then again I am a big fan of minimalist landscapes. I agree that the image could be improved with some contrast and saturation and color boost. For scenes like this, when the light is flat, I sometimes reach for my Lee mist filter to add some atmosphere.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies.