Ruby-throated Hummingbird and Phygelius capensis var. "Magenta"

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I revisited and edited my first new background and desaturated the yellows and greens. My printer was not playing nice so I lost an inch of vertical space on the edges. This plant is native to South Africa and the hummingbirds visit it frequently for nectar. I overwintered this plant and was able to get it to bloom for this shot. Like a good music album that needs to be played loud, view it large!

Technical Details

Z9 600mm f4 (1/200 sec at f18, ISO 250, 4 flashes at 1/32 power). Two flashes were on the subject and two on the BG. Levels, Topaz DeNoise AI, Curves and crop for comp.

2 Likes

Hi Jim, very nice image with fine details on the bird and plant. I like the bird’s pose and wing position on approach. The BG looks good to me too setting off the plant and bird nicely IMO.
I’m not familiar with this plant. Do the blooms always droop down like this? Just wondering. For my flower set ups I clip them and put the stems in a small plastic tube with water to prevent drooping. Of course this could be perfectly natural for this plant for all I know.
A well done image.

Thank you @Allen_Sparks . Phygelius is native to South Africa and several species are very popular garden plants, especially in California, Oregon, and Washington. The flowers hang down and the hummingbirds go to town on them. I overwinter several varieties indoors and plant them in planter boxes in late Spring. They are fast growers and produce lots of blooms all summer long.

1 Like

Hi Jim
Your backgrounds are looking better with each post. The variance in luminance and saturation complement the Hummingbird and the Phygelius. TheHummingbird is sharp, with good eye contact and wing position. Are the reds on this flower compress (outside the sRGB gam range) and PH or LR is having a hard time making the Phygeluis look natural?
Peter

Thank you @peter. On my Eizo monitor, the flower color is spot on and that’s what it look like. Most Phygelius have coral red flowers and this clone is very close to magenta which is why I chose it. I use minimal compression for jpegs and some color clipping will have to be corrected prior to printing…Jim