Rufous and Penstemon

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was looking at a local nursery for plants that attract hummingbirds. Bought his penstemon and within a day of planting was able to get this shot from about 4 meters away.

Specific Feedback

I had difficulty with cropping, using several of the cropping patterns in LRC

Technical Details

Z9, Z100-400 1.4TC, ISO 1800, 1/2500 sec, f8, 560mm

NR in LRC
No sharpening required.

1 Like

That’s no fair. They’ve been ignoring mine as far as I can see. A very nice image, Dan. I love the sharpness of the penstemon. It does look as if the focus were on the nearest blooms rather than the face of the hummingbird, though it’s very close.

You mention trying different cropping patterns. I find that unless I’m constrained by a print format, it’s much easier to just do the crop freestyle rather than relying on anyone’s preconceived notion of what the ratios should be (which are all set up for standard print sizes).

Agree with Dennis. This looks fine to me. You might try to run just the bird thru Topaz Sharpen AI if you have it.

Dennis and David,

Thank you for your remarks. I will repost after sharpening or post another from the series.

Dan Mulkey

Beautiful! The wonderful background gives a lot of depth and adds to the colour story. Well done!

Nice action capture Daniel. Love the complimentary BG with seemingly a repeat of the flowers. Nice pose on the bird. Agree the focus seems to be on the flowers not the bird.

Hi Dan,

Guess I’ve been neglecting NPN for a while, but looking through the images this one caught my eye. Beautiful. Hard to beat a bird and flowers. Great capture.

Allen

Thx, Allen