rufous male courtship display amongst spring leafing barberry bush

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have six hummingbirds using the same barberry bush as a perch to launch for the feeder. This male rufous is not shy and makes an easy subject at 20 feet.

Technical Details

Nikon Z9, Z 110-400mm , TC 1.4
ISO 8000
f/8
1/1250 sec
Noise reduction in LRC (new version)
No sharpening.
Basic adjustments in LRC

1 Like

Nice catch and I like the barberry perch, Dan. The gorget is really nice, but the hummingbird seems a bit overexposed to my eye. You might bring down the whole thing a bit and particularly the top of the head that looks pretty washed out.

A beautiful hummer that is quite photogenic. Love the colorful spikey perch too. I like the position and expression on the bird - good look at the eye. I agree with Dennis on the exposure and the bird seems a bit soft to me. Still a nice take on this beauty.

Hi Daniel,

This is an awesome composition! :slight_smile: Wonderful model you have there :slight_smile:

The image did really well at ISO 8000 and no sharpening.
The exposure was high enough that a high ISO wasn’t an issue (in my view).

There is a bit too much saturation and a slight amount of over exposure but of course that may have been what you intended.
In my opinion though, those high levels can be distracting to the average viewer.

I tried an edit in Topaz Sharpen AI using the “Too Soft - Very Blurry” mode, with the “Remove Blur” strength at 14, and “Remove Noise” level at 70.
In ACR, I lowered the saturation a little and lowered the overall contrast just a bit.
It doesn’t take much to go too far one way or the other.
I have trouble myself with the sensitivity of those sliders and it happens to me a lot.

The texture slider in ACR and Lr can be a sensitive adjustment if the image has sort of “Borderline hot colors”, but don’t be afraid to use them while scanning the image for any strange artifacts. Topaz Sharpen AI can be a little tricky too but the main thing is to move the image around at 100% or even 200% scale just to have a close look at the edges of the bird and other elements to make sure there are no over sharpening artifacts.

I hope this helps.
Your hummingbird images are fantastic, Daniel! :slight_smile:

Those adjustments did improve the image. Thanks - I have about 50 shots of this bird and will try your suggestions.

I think you might go for a slightly cooler WB, too – in the raw stage. The saturation could be a bit more subdued, too – would love to see some others with slightly different treatments. A wonderful opportunity!