Anna's feeding on wild currant

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This bird allowed me to get within 10 feet as it fed on the white variant of wild currant in our garden.

Specific Feedback

It was a dark and rainy day, mostly in fog. Difficult to light but I think it turned out OK even if it is a little dark

Technical Details

Nikon Z9, 100-400mm , 1.4 TC, f/8, 1/2000 sec ISO 8000.
Topaz AI
LRC mask on subject 1 stop increased exposure.

1 Like

Hi Daniel, this looks really good to me. Sharp on the bird where it needs to be especially head/eye. Very nice wing position. I like the composition with the bird fully visible on the right feeding on the white flowers. Brightness looks good to me considering the conditions - you could see what increasing the shadows slider a tad more does but I wouldn’t say that is a necessity. Very pleasing well done image IMO!

I love it when these ordinarily sleek little birds manage to look round and awkward. Super position for this one and as Allen says, you have sharpness where needed. Gray day or not these guys have to be out and about and always busy. Nice catch!

Excellent, Dan. Your hummingbird images just keep getting better. Excellent detail where it needs to be and you can’t use a much smaller aperture to get more depth of field (and you’d probably have some motion blur in the tail anyhow). She looks like she might have an egg in her-or it might just be the cool days. I saw a male rufous on the one of our feeders this morning that looked just about as plump.

This is great, Dan! :slight_smile:

The timing was perfect again and the flowers are well placed in the frame.
The BG is perfect as well and the details on the left wing, head, eye and beak are awesome.

This is the kind of image I’d expect to see in a National Audubon book.

Very nicely done! :slight_smile:

I have about twenty shot from this series that are sharp and do not require much cropping. This shot was essentially right out of the camera. I am trying to add more light and contrast within LRC by increasing the exposure to 0.5 and increasing the shadows, the resting the white/black points. I will post of these and solicit your reaction. Thanks for the kind words.

Sounds great, Daniel!

Looking forward to it! :slight_smile: