Anna's feeding on wild currant #2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of a series., the first of which I posted a few days ago. On this one, I used a different workflow, starting with Topaz AI and then using the basic adjustments in LRC to increase the exposure by 1/2 stop and boost the shadows. Then I used masking to slightly brighten the background.

Specific Feedback

I think this is a better refinement compared to the nearly identical image of a few days ago. Any comments?

Technical Details

Nikon Z9, Z100-400, 560mm, 1/2000, f/8, ISO 8000.

2 Likes

I like the processing a little better in this one, Dan, though the wing position is more appealing to me in the first.

Hi Dainel, a really fine image that is nicely composed with sharpness where it needs to be. I like that the leaves right above the bird and flowers aren’t clipped. Looks like a good job of processing as well. The pose of the bird works well for me with a fine wing position. The “plumpness” of the bird adds to the interest of the image. Well done.

I can merely echo Allen’s words, and like to add that this is one of the few cases where I think a square crop really works well :wink: … And I have fallen for the plumpness as well ! Cheers, Hans

Thank you , Hans.

Hi Daniel,

This is really clean looking, especially for ISO 8000.

I’ve used Topaz Denoise AI at the beginning of an edit, then process (as most people do), then just for kicks, I’ve processed the same RAW image, then use Topaz Denoise AI and both versions looked the same as far as I could tell.
Some say that you have to do noise reduction first and I believe Adobe recommends noise reduction first but I’ve read comments from others that do it afterwards and have the same results.
I would say that it all depends on the image and how noisy it is to begin with but that’s just my thought.

It sounds like you have a good flow worked out and it shows in this image! :slight_smile:

Love the composition, the colors and the details, and of course the plump little hummingbird :smiley:

I haven’t seen any Anna’s here in central NC, they are around according to a web search so maybe I just haven’t been paying them enough attention :smiley:

Looks great, Daniel!:slight_smile: