Anna and Rosemary & original full frame

Taken this morning and somewhat bright hazy light. This is a very large crop; about 22% of full frame.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Three different forms of noise reduction: DxO photo lab & Topaz De noise AI on whole image; Nik de noise locally for the background. If you look closely, you can see the Topaz de noise signature fluffiness around some of the real sharp edges. I corrected some of this but there are probably places in the plant and elsewhere that are just too time-consuming.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

There are some spent orange flowers. Keep or remove?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-500, 100-400 at 400 mm, F5 .6, 2000th, handheld, no flash, A7R4

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Like the composition, including the flowers and the BG. Detail on the bird looks good. But I opened the photo before I read your comments and thought that there were some odd processing issues. The bird looks sharp, but the details don’t look quite right. It’s almost as if the bird is too sharp but has also had some NR run on it. The foreground flowers also seem to have some strange details. Was the image pretty noisy after the crop? Maybe some less aggressive NR? I’d prob. clone out the dead flower beneath the bird’s beak.

Well, I really like this. Another good example where the bird plus environment is more than the sum of its parts. I like how the angle of the plant parallels the bird’s. Good detail in the hummer. I’d probably remove the spent flowers as it detracts from the pleasing color palette of green and purple, though I can’t say it would have occurred to me if you hadn’t brought it up. I’m surprised you needed much NR at ISO 500. Overall, a very pleasing image.

Here is the original. 9504 X 6336 (60.2 MP)
The posted image is 3156 X 1902 (6 MP). So it is 10% of full frame… That is why all the noise reduction is necessary.

1 Like

Nice and sharp, lots of detail, and excellent depth of field. It is a fine capture. The hummer felt just a tad high in the frame and that railing does not offer an easy option. Nicely done.