Anna's feeding

Southern California has at least four or five species of hummingbirds but I only saw Anna’s and Rufus. They have plenty of color and are generally pretty cooperative. It sure is different photographing these birds against reddish rocks with sparse vegetation compared to the forests of the Pacific Northwest.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Iso-2000, 400+1.4 X, F6 .3, 1250th, handheld, about 15% of full frame so this is a very large crop. Noisier than I would like even with the new version of Topaz DeNoise AI

1 Like

David, I love her position, and you captured her feeding in such a neat angle. Love how she positioned her body, and that your shutter speed was so that it shows the wing motion somewhat. I can deal with the noise. Nice shot, in my opinion.

Hi David
Lucky you, the Hummingbirds will not be back in Ct for a month or so. The framing, head turn and wing action make a very pleasant photograph. The noise level is well controlled, I had to look for it.
Peter

Terrific head position of the bird and nice details. Not much noise for such a large crop. Is it just a tad bright, or is that just me?

Oh this is terrific. I can’t wait for ours to come back. We only have ruby-throats east of the Mississippi, but one always nests in or near the backyard. I hope I can do as well photographing them. I like the pose.

Also just noticed that liking a post has turned from thumbs up to a heart. :confused:

A beauty, David. I love the little pollen spot on the head. It really tells a story. I’m surprised you’re getting any significant noise in the first place at iso 500.

Personally, I was fond of the clinking beer mugs of the old NPN!

1 Like

Sorry, this is iso 2000 and a very large crop which is why I had concerns about noise.

Hi David, nice capture and intriguing pose. The noise looks okay for ISO 2000 and a large crop even though I think you can do some more noise reduction on the lower wing. A fine image showing this behavior.

You caught a nice feeding pose and I like the overall setting and composition. Good capture.