Rush Hour

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Bird of Paradise is one of my favorite flowers to shoot. We have two large plants that haven’t flowered for a few years due to severe freezes that seem to stifle the flowering cycle. However the leaves have recovered and provide some nice imaging opportunities themselves. On this particular morning I spotted this snail cruising down the highway and liked the juxtaposition of elements and patterns.

Specific Feedback

I shot this well before my stacking days with my high mag rig and a long exposure. I’m somewhat amused by the handwringing that some critics engage in regarding diffraction as I’m not sure I’ve seen it in the real world. Your thoughts?

Technical Details

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 200, 2 sec @ f32

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Bill, I really like the perspective here - a little unusual.
The swirls in the snail and patterns in the leaf contrast and compliment each other perfectly.
Well-seen and captured!

Excellent framing and orientation with this shot. The rippling waves of the leaves and the tight coil superimposed over the straight line is quite pleasing and I like the translucent shell, too. Looks like the snail wandered through a few spider webs, too. Super job all around.

Wonderful capture – all said above!! I don’t see any signs of diffraction, which does surprise me a bit with that aperture. Maybe it’s one of those alternative facts…

Bill, this is delightful. The strongly patterned leaf is so nicely interrupted by the snail. The issue of diffraction at small aperatures is mostly about what can be measured with specialized instruments vs what is seen at normal size and viewing distance. I’ve tested all of my macro lenses over the years and yes, when I look at 100%, I can see slight reductions in resolution once I get to f/22 and above, but those are invisible under normal viewing conditions.