Saguaro Cactus

Image Description

Desert scene near Tucson illuminated by a setting sun.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I attempted to capture the warm evening light of the desert.

Bill, to your comment point here I’d say you did a very fine job of doing that. The golden light is excellent. I like how you placed the main large saguaro slightly to the right with the smaller group highlighted in the BG too… :sunglasses:
I would clone out or content aware the tree limbs poking in on the left side. Easy enough to cover with the sky there. Also, there is a tiny item poking up on the top of the distant right hill side that’s an easy clone there too. … :thinking:

1 Like

Hi Bill, I think you accomplished your goal of capturing the warm evening light wonderfully. The warm colors are nicely offset with the sky. I also like the shaded foreground as a natural vignette.

I agree with @Paul_Breitkreuz about the branches coming in from the left. They kind of pull my eye away from the rest of the scene.

This is really one of the better cactus/cacti images I’ve seen, Bill. Awesome.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Bill,

Love the light! And of course you captured that warm glow and the saguaro is the perfect subject to catch those late rays of sunshine. I especially like the bg desert and mountain that are also showing off the late light.

Only feedback I have on color would be that the highlights seem on the green side to me. Maybe it’s the cactus, maybe it’s me, but I thought I would try and move the highlights to yellow/red, which are still warm colors. Very subtle so I’m not sure how this will post.

I also agree with Pauls observation and cloned out the branches on the left. Now there were enough of them to tell the viewer they were included on purpose… but I’m not sure there’s enough… so might be cleaner without. Also cloned a couple other small artifacts (incl blooming flower at the bottom)

Not sure if this fits your vision, but an alternate view anyway. It’s a worthy image for sure!

2 Likes