Saguaro portrait

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

There’s no particular story here. The saguaro was sunlit against a darker background. That’s a composition that usually appeals to me.

Technical Details

ISO 800, 110 mm, f/5.6, 1/320th.

Don, would it be ok if I moved this to the Landscape category? It’s a lovely image.

Alfredo, I’m embarrassed to say that I thought I had put it in the landscape gallery. By all means, move it. Thanks.

No problem Don. It’s been moved. Thank you.

Hi Don,

I’m relatively new to the community - so please take what I say with the appropriate amount of salt.

That said, this is really quite nice. I really like the cactus and how it stands out against the darker background. I am also attracted to that type of composition. The colors are really nice - both in highlight and shadow.

The only issue I find is a bit of confusion with the subject. That intersection of lines in the upper right third really draws my eye and holds on to it. While I really like that area of the image, I do think it draws away from the saguaro. Cropping it closer to square would resolve that - but I admit it would take out a nice part of the image.

I took a look at your portfolio. Your work is very nice!

Best
Bill

Nice. These are the kinds of images I also look for. With the lit FG against the darker BG, it’s easy to see what the subject is.

Ohhh – I love that BG!! Maybe sometime do one just of it – if you can get a clear view. But as to what you actually did – very nice! I see a lot of possibilities here, probably involving you bushwhacking in the thorns though. Any chance to get closer to the Sauguaro and place it against that same BG only a little larger in the frame and a little to the left? (Probably not without a machete.) This might also be wonderful with the same pre-sunrise light you got on a Saguaro a couple of weeks ago.

Bill, Michael, Diane, thanks for commenting.

Diane, this was taken at an arboretum where visitors must stay on the trails. I couldn’t get closer. It’s not hard to find that kind of background around here, though, in places where there aren’t such rules.

Don,

I want to withdraw my minor criticism regarding confusion on the subject. I was just flipping through one of Guy Tal’s books and ran into a similar composition (p 16, Another Day Not Wasted - Alien Tree).