Sails of Ivory

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The spoonbill glides through the air with a sense of purpose, its broad wings catching the light and casting a delicate glow. Those wings, like ivory sails, propel it effortlessly above the shimmering lake, each beat a testament to nature’s engineering. The unique, spatula-shaped bill is unmistakable, perfectly adapted for its life in the wetlands. Behind it, the lake sparkles like a field of diamonds, the sunlight dancing on the water’s surface. Pelicans rest on the shore, creating a tableau of avian life in serene coexistence. This moment captures the spoonbill’s effortless elegance, a testament to nature’s intricate designs.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome.

Technical Details

270 mm at ISO 640 and 1⁄1600sec at ƒ/9

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Saundie, I too like seeing the light playing through a bird’s wings and this is a good example of that. It may be debatable if the BG is distracting or complimentary. The additional birds on the right do provide an additional element of interest as does the sparkling water. I like this scene with the anticipation that the bird is finding a place to land in this environment.

1 Like

I like the light coming through the wings and how the spoonbill is clearly the center of attention and then the eye can wander about, looking at the birds on shore and those (cormorants?) in the tree. The sparkling water helps set the mood.

1 Like

I love the backlit wings of the spoonbill in this image, Saundie. I’m not all that fond of the dark and busy background, though it is an interesting assortment of birds.

1 Like

@Allen_Brooks @Allen_Sparks @Dennis_Plank

Thanks for the feedback. I expected the background might not appeal to everyone, but my passion for landscapes often leads me to include it. In this case, I felt it was particularly important. It not only showcases the bird but also highlights the diverse community it belongs to, including cormorants, darters, pelicans, spoonbills, egrets, and various ducks.