Elegant Descent

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In the calm of early morning, the spoonbill glides down with effortless grace, flaring its wings to slow its descent, glowing in the sunlight like silk. The placid water below mirrors its approach, each touch of its slender legs sending gentle ripples outward. As it lands, the harmony between bird and water is palpable, creating a scene of serene beauty that speaks to the quiet wonder of the natural world.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

300 mm at ISO 400 and 1ā„2500sec at ʒ/5.6

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Great timing, Saundie. Catching the toes touching the water is perfect for this kind of landing. The backlighting of the wings really makes this image glow. I could see that if h=it had turned just a tad more toward you it might have been even better, but Iā€™d take this anytime.

1 Like

Wonderful!! Gorgeous light and setting, decisive moment! I can justify the head turn as testament to the bird being on its own wavelength, disconnected from us lesser beings (and paying attention to the runway centerline).

1 Like

This is great Saundie. Great timing, great backlighting, and great composition. Nice job.

1 Like

Hi Saundie,
Lovely light on the wings and the timing to get touchdown is great. Angle is slightly away from us but still a great catch.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller @Ed_Williams @Dennis_Plank @Allen_Sparks

Thanks for the feedback. LOL, like Diane, I prefer pilots who are on their own wavelength, preferably in tune with the centerline. I certainly understand that a sideways glance would have been nice, though. :pray:

Hi Don
I hope to photograph Soonbills some day. This photograph tells nice story, the early morning sun, backlighting the wings, the eye and bill are great. Nice job with the overall exposure and feather detail.
Peter