Cleared to Land

This spoonbill flew from a pond and landed on the golf course, before flying away.

What technical feedback would you like if any? All feedback is appreciated

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any you can offer

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D90 with Nikon DX18-300mm
f/6.3, ss 1/1600, ISO 252 at 300 mm
A bit of cropping and adjustment
Added a bit of contrast, mostly to mid-tones and shadows, and sharpened the wings.
some softening to the green grass on the golf course
S

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A nice landing shot. I like how you have positioned the bird coming into the frame. Well done. You must have pretty close at 300mm.

1 Like

Thanks David. Yes, I was pretty close. There is a pond next to a salt marsh area and a golf course, and it frequently has spoonbills, wood storks, egrets, and ibises. Most are skittish, but the spoonbills less than the others

Now that’s a color I have never seen in Alaska! The bright pink sure is an attention getter! I like that you caught it just before touchdown and surprised that both wings are in focus on that large of a bird, that close @ f/6.3.

1 Like

I really like the landing pose, Scott, and the golf course makes a pleasant background. To my eye, the bird seems a bit soft. Your shutter speed was high enough so I’m guessing the focus was off a bit or that lens is a bit soft at the high end of its range.

Thanks Gary. They are very interesting birds. Some seem much paler, but this guy was bright and colorful.

Thanks Dennis. Either of those is possible. It was hand held and the bird was moving quickly, so it could have been the lens or me.

Hi Scott,
Beautiful bird and capture. It’s awesome you were able to catch its descent, especially since I assume you were golfing?
Per the “soft” comment, what was point of focus, the eye I’m guessing since it looks pretty sharp? At f/6.3 depth of field front and back of focus point would not be wide which would account for out-of focus front wing. That and subject movement.
I would suggest increasing ISO so you can stop down and raise the shutter speed. That will give you more dof and sharper wings especially in front of focus point. You can compensate for increased iso noise in post.
Very nice image!

1 Like

Thanks George. I apologize I did not see your comments earlier. That is good, helpful feedback.