Splash Down

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

As the pelican makes its entrance, it hits the water with a grace that stirs up a crown of droplets around it. It’s not just a landing; it’s a grand arrival that sends ripples across the calm morning lake.

Specific Feedback

Is less more? In this edit, I’ve concentrated on the central pelican, introducing a tighter crop and reducing the number of background pelicans to declutter the scene. I’d appreciate any feedback.

Technical Details

174 mm at ISO 500 and 1⁄1250sec at ƒ/10

I could go with either 1 or 3, Saundie. They portray the scene in different ways. 3 definitely focuses on the central figure and the landing. 1 is more of an environmental image implying the presence of lots of pelicans. Both work, just differently.

Hi Saundie, nice catch of the landing. All three work for me. Just depends how much focused attention you wanna give to the landing bird.

All nice images. But, given the story you’re telling, I’d go with the third one. I like how the two other pelicans’ eyes are directed at the one landing. You’ve got a great series going with your large shorebirds.

I favor 1 or 3 as well. Excellent bird action and communication. Thinking about the lesson from NPN’s recent webinar on birds at Great Salt Lake, I wonder how the image would look if you had shot from a lower point of view - even flat on the ground? The webinar is worth a look. Terrific image as is.

Saundie: I like all three, but three is my favorite. They all tell a good story but three appeals most as it eliminates the bright sky. I think a touch of burning to the background would place more attention on the birds. Excellent series.