Salitral #1

This is the same salt pond as the previous image - only in the morning. I made several different images this morning, each with a different outlook. I am starting with a high toned one shot in an area where the bottom was really bright. Incidentally, the water across this whole area was about 3 inches deep. It was warm and a delight to photograph in sandals.

As I processed this image the question was how light to make it and still have an impact. The subject was bright but I made it still brighter. How does this image strike you? Does it achieve what it attempts to do?

GFX50R, 32-64mm, tripod, CPL, etc.

PS. Just replaced the image due to a sloppy clone job. Hope nobody saw it. Issue was in the bottom two corners.

1 Like

Looks very interesting, Igor, only it won’t enlarge? I’d love to see it larger if possible?

All right. I’ll fix that. Done.

1 Like

Wonderful!! I love the delicate detail – the tonalities look perfect to me! Fantastic depth – not sure you could have done better with a tilt-shift lens.

Igor, the high key feel of this image works quite well. I also like the depth of the scene. The last bit of sky in the top gives a sense of place. I also think you did a great job with the abstract foreground. It feels orderly. Looking at it large size, it definitely feels like a fine art print. Well done, sir.

1 Like

The foreground patterns work well here in what is otherwise a minimalist image.

What struck me at first, Igor, was the soft feel of the image. For me at least, it is not too light because there is enough blue fading into the peach colors of the sand/salt piles. Also, for me, the gradient created by the colors, along the lack of any movement in the water, reflect a very peaceful scene. Definitely a “wish I was there” image.

Excellent Igor! The processing is spot on - at least it comes across successfully in that it makes me feel like this is what it might have been like, experienced, if I were standing there. I like that there’s just enough definition and variance in the sky/clouds to allow that and the spit of land to create the depth. And of course enough interest in the foreground to make this a great image.

Lon

The feeling I get from this is one of softness, because of the subtle color, relative brightness, and relatively low contrast. Which is ironic because this must be a rather harsh environment. I love the gradation from warm to cool, foreground to background. The balance is nice, too. Altogether, a lovely photo - well done.

What do you mean by impact? A bright, high-key image has a certain impact, while a dark, low-key image has a different impact.

I think that as I post the other images from this area it will be more obvious what I meant.

Hi Igor,

I like the patterns formed by the foreground formations. I can see that these formations seem to continue out to the horizon, but the lack of detail in the middle ground seems to create a discontinuity that then leaves me wondering what the background and sky have to do with the overall image. The overall sense I get from the image is that it was a warm and humid environment, which as you were photographing in sandals seems to have been the case, so in that respect the photograph conveys the essence of that place well.

Low contrast images are always a challenge for me because I am generally a high contrast kind of guy. That said, my vision of this image is that of an other worldly scene, in a good sense. It makes me interested in the scene, what it is and where it will lead.

@Lon_Overacker, @linda_mellor, @David_Bostock, @Diane_Miller, @Brian_Schrayer, @Don_Jacobson, @Youssef_Ismail, @Bonnie_Lampley

Thank you for your comments. There is indeed a break between the salt formations and the horizon. Actually the formations do lead into the horizon but they are deeper and therefore white in color. But the foreground salt ‘snakes’ were really designed to be a pattern in the fg with a continuity to the far off. I believe that’s why I raised the luminosity and dropped the saturation in the snakes to create a uniformity.

1 Like

I think that this is very nice Igor and I love the colour palette and the overall mood/feel of this image.

This is really well composed Igor. The foreground “snakes” lead the eye straight through the scene. I love the soft contrast and even luminosity that you created with this image. It works really well. I think with high key, low contrast images the viewer is drawn into the light with no hesitation or fear. They are soft with no major obstacles to climb over. It feels like the world is a safer place.
High contrast images, while clearly more colorful, can be foreboding, more dramatic, and more laden with obstacles making it slightly more difficult to steer the eye through the scene. There is also more busyness in higher contrast images making them more difficult to wander through. In a high key low contrast image, I feel like the eye can wander around freely at will and not be blocked by more in your face obstacles. I love both but they convey different things to me. This high key is wonderfully executed and the image flows freely from front to back and the sky and background dunes give this image a sense of place. Having none of the snakes toughing the bottom of the frame is well designed and that clear area in the BRC is well seen and placed in this image. I really love this image.