Salvia in our garden

I had no idea the cilia was present on this flower until I looked through the lens.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Aside from conditions of a few of the leaves, what could improve this shot?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Would it be better to crop most of the stem and leave only the leaves to the left of the flower and the flower?

Any pertinent technical details: Nikon D850 Nikon 200mm f/4.0 ISO200 1/800 f/4.5. White Balance Auto Handheld and processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC, NIK and TK.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

A lovely flower, Patrick, and I like your composition. You included just about the right amount of stem for my taste. I do wish you’d had more depth of field to get it all in sharp focus, though that would have probably required a tripod and quite possibly an artificial background. The lighting is great.

Thank you Dennis. We have been experimenting with depth of field and comments like yours are a great guide.

Good detail and a bold image. Could use a bit more dof. You might try blending several image, or go the whole distance focus stacking. This is the type of image where you can fulfill the dof needed and keep a blurred BG, provided the lighting and lack of movement can be accommodating.

1 Like