Salvia

A telephoto floral image.
I plant Salvias to attract hummingbirds.
Wish there was one on it…
D610, f5.6, 1/100, iso1250, 420mm (300 f2.8 w/ 1.4 tc)
I approached this like bird photography, there was a breeze so I upped the iso to get as sharp as I could in low light.
PP in ACR, PS, and NX2
Topaz NR.
Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Hi Dan! That’s a very interesting portrait of the Salvia. Your exposure choices were very good and you got good sharpness in your point of focus. The background is very good too. A hummer would have been nice but it works as is too. I would love to see more depth in focus but that is sooooo hard with that much magnification, especially while fighting the breeze.

Dan: I like your DOF/POF choice here. We have a lot of Salvia in our garden and the hummers do like it but we don’t have many hummers except for a few weeks in the Spring and Fall. My only suggestion would be to work on getting rid of some of the brown stuff in the middle of the center bud. Nicely crafted image. >=))>

An interesting composition, Dan. I like the out of focus stem leading to the bloom, though I do wish you’d had the conditions to get a bit more depth of field on the blooms themselves.

I do like the form , the interesting flower and the curving stem. The BG is great, with a nice touch of orange at the LLC. I do agree with Dennis’ “if only” about the comparatively shallow DOF. A solid image, nonetheless.