Sand trails under a burning sky

Stumbled across this relatively large patch of sand trails on a beach I was walking along on my way to photograph some sea stacks. I loved their balanced structure, texture and the way they reflected the pre-dawn light and colourful clouds above.

Specific Feedback Requested

The image required a fair bit more work than I thought it would, mainly requiring balancing luminosity and colours across the frame. There were very obvious irregularities in the original raw file, mainly due to light coming from the left and patches of cloud above, which made the frame inconsistent and distracted from the sand patterns.

• How are the colours/saturation levels? The scene was naturally quite red and magenta due to the light
  • How is the luminosity/contrast?
  • Does the frame feel balanced?
  • I’ve had someone suggest flipping it vertically; thoughts?

Technical Details

1 Like

Oh geez, Benjamin, this is fantastic! Wow, I thought it was ice crystals from the thumbnail. I love the colors, the luminosity, the composition. Excellent all around. I might slightly darken the top 15% but that’s a total nit. This rocks on all levels. Well done!

1 Like

Wow, very cool! The colors are wonderful. I love the little snail trails, too.

1 Like

Thank you David! Cool to know there’s some initial ambiguity on the subject, I love it when photos do that. I did actually originally completely flatten the luminosity difference between that top part and the rest of the frame, but after checking back I ended up liking a bit of directional glow instead. I’ll sit on it though and see if I change my mind! Appreciate the kind words :grin:

1 Like

Thank you Bonnie! Glad you noticed those details, so many little things for the eye to investigate

You know I love this image, Ben. I think it took insane constraint on your part to focus on the shore instead of the whole scene in front of you, but that’s the mark of a smart photographer and one who knows the true gems that lie before them. I think you processed it wonderfully.

1 Like

Cheers Matt! To avoid more credit being given to me than is due, I honestly would have just completely walked past this section of beach if it weren’t for these sand patterns; the much more interesting wide angle scenes were about 150 metres away. Regardless, I really appreciate the kind words!

What a great image! I like it a lot.

I think everything is OK. It gives almost an abstract image as presented and that speaks to me. I like the image even better flipped vertically:

It then becomes a fire with cold flames!

1 Like

OH MY! Benjamin, this is simply glorious! It’s hinted at here, and Matt confirms… that there is also something glorious happening outside the frame, and just goes to demonstrate ALL the wonderful imagery that surrounds us at all times - and most especially during these wonderful moments at sunrise and sunset.

This is just outstanding! No nits or suggestions really. Maybe, and this is about as picky as one could get - but do you have a slightly wider frame? I’m sorta wishing the fingers on both the left and right had a little more space on the edge. It’s not distracting at all as presented, but just wondering if there was any extra space left and right - and maybe even at the bottom. Regardless, this is just gorgeous!

Love this! Wish it were mine. And for sure next time on on the coast, I’ll be sure and keep my eye on the sand!

Lon

1 Like

Love it! The colours and the gradient from bright to dark work so well together. Well spotted.

1 Like

Simply stunning Ben! The light gradient, colors, and patterns make this a winner for me. I love how this could be interpreted as an aerial image or close-up. Great work on this!

1 Like

Beautiful patterns and colors, Ben. I can imagine that as an aerial photo of some remote corner of the Navajo Nation as easily as I can see it as a beach scene. One thing I notice is that my eye is pretty quickly drawn to the brightest tones at the top edge of the frame, and I wonder if a little bit of subtle burning here would help hold the eye more towards the center. I only raise this point because this is something that has been pointed out to me in some of my recent images, so I’m trying to work through when it might be something worth correcting and when it is not. So, maybe this is more of an honest question: why did you elect not to soften those bright edges?

I like the concept of the inverted image per @Ola_Jovall, but the angle of the capture is such that it looks obviously upside down. Still, the cold flame concept is really interesting.

Thanks for posting this image.

1 Like

Thanks so much Lon, I’m thrilled you enjoy it! For a reference of what I was on my way to, check out my most recent post.
I believe I went with this tighter framing because going wider started to introduce more sand patterns on the side, and I wanted to maintain nice clean edges.
Sand can certainly provide a lot of fun to shoot, especially when the light is good!

Thank you for your input Ola! I think I am leaning away from the vertical flip, mostly because the abstraction isn’t strong enough for me to not be distracted by what it actually is. I think my eyes also don’t like it being dark at the top of the frame, for whatever reason. I did toy with the idea for a while though, and it certainly looks cool! I hadn’t thought of the cold flame simile, very creative!

1 Like

Thank you @AndreDonawa and @Alfredo_Mora!

Much appreciated Jeff! I love that you can interpret it as an aerial; since my brain knows the context I find it hard to see the photo as anything else than what it is.

Thank you for the critique - I’ll play around with softening those bright tones.

To answer your question: I usually find that the eye is most drawn to areas of high contrast, rather than necessarily brightness. So for me, the contrast of the bottom side of the sand patterns helps balance out the top. I also liked the natural gradient of luminosity after originally flattening the difference in brightness originally. I may have left the top a little too strong though, so thank you for your help :grin:

Contest entry if you do that… looks like a Drone image in the the thumbnail but the Image is so much richer, colors are perfect, processing is first rate.

Lovely colors and style. I photograph these often, but I think I’ve never gotten such a nice color scheme. Beaches with good “shapes” are hard to find. There are only a few places in Northern Norway and they are far from each other. I don’t think the upper part needs much change, I like it that way

1 Like

I love the delicate coppery lines and having the top of the frame darker keeps your eyes on the textures. Abstract sand textures with great reflexions are a favorite of mine .

1 Like

A stunner for sure man. The only question I’d consider with this is how it would look with other crops? a 9x16 might look cool.

1 Like