Sand

This is a late afternoon look at the dunes with a few clouds hanging out.

D850, 70-200mm

5 Likes

Harley, the shapes and textures are awesome. I like how you’ve emphasized the foreground dune’s texture while the distant dunes are a fine collections of bright and dark shapes scattered across the frame. Your centered, three element vanishing point works very well.

The B&W Treatment gives this a classic look, Harley. Nicely done.

This is my hands down favorite. I really like that black shape coming in from the left. That together with that background mist. I think too much emphasis has been devoted to the ‘brain coral’ ripples. I would crop some from the bottom. Regardless, I like this for the visual mystery of those shapes whereas the others were more about design and composition.

Another very fine addition to the overall dune collection to date, Harley. Would make quite an impressive showing all over a gallery wall… :+1:

I like how the top has a dark and light hourglass shape that gets sandwiched between the clouds above and dune shapes below. That hourglass creates a very striking look.

For me there is a lot more visual interesting the top half of the image, the strong patterns and shapes up there kind of out-compete the ripples in the foreground. I would suggest a crop from the bottom, losing about half of the big foreground dune with the ripples.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments and ideas @David_Bostock , @Igor_Doncov , @Mark_Seaver , @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Ed_McGuirk . Interesting suggestions on the crop. I had tried the crop when first processing and tried it again today. I find myself liking the uncropped ripples in the foreground and the way they lead in, but I very much appreciate the input. It is always good to see my work through the eyes of others and get the input.

I don’t have too much to say about this other than that I love it and that I think you did a fantastic job with it. It’s really beautiful work!

Awesome! I love the FG ripples too much to consider a crop. Not sure if the top and bottom halves compete, but I don’t think so. Maybe a subtle graduated burn from the bottom?

A complete nitpick, but there is a tiny eye magnet with the little finger of a cloud poking from the UL.