Sanderling's Supper II

Hi All,

Another shot from the series of this sanderling with its meal. In post, I cropped in a bit, straightened the shot, sharpened the bird a hair, and reduced noise on the BG. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D850
500mm f/4 AF-S II, handheld
ISO 800
1/2500
f/7.1

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@feelingruby

That looks like a very big meal for the little Sanderling. Another nice low angle and catching the action. I like the water droplets. The side lighting looks nice. The high ss freezes the action. Well done.

Very pleasing light and excellent point of view. There are some dark spots on the image which could potentially be water droplets or sand. I find them a little distracting seeing that a majority of the water droplets are clear. I would remove them. I also think you could probably get a little more detail out of the white plumage on the left-hand side of the image. But a really nice shot with respect to comp, pose, food, and tonality in the blues and grays of the water.

Beautiful image Lyle! Really like the simple tones of the yellow in the highlights and darker blues in the shadows. Beautiful light on the subject as well. Agree with David on cleaning up the water droplets or sand. I too find it very distracting.

Hi Lyle
This photograph give the view a true perspective of the Sanderling hunt for food. The side lighting , low angle and eye contact make the shot. Nice work.
Peter