Sandhill Pair

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I got these two a while back down at the Merced National Wildlife Refuge. I like the pattern the two make and am okay with only the front one being in focus. Does it still work with one fuzzy guy? D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 720, AI Clear, cropped to 3434 x 2413

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Dave, in a way, I am hoping that the guy in the back is more out of focus. I do like the shape created by their intersecting wing but I wish the feet of the front bird does not intersect with the back of the bird in the back.

Front one tack sharp and for me if you can only get one sharp get the front one.

It is so hard to get two in focus. At 50 meters you have about 2 metres of DoF. Not much if you are focusing on front bird which would be in middle of focus zone. That only leaves 1 metre to get second bird.
I agree with Adhika about the merge of the front feet.
Looks nicely processed as well. I like how the black stands out on wings.

DOF works for me, agree about the feet. That said, it’s a very pleasant image, and it had to look twice to see how they were exactly positioned - which I always like. Cheers, Hans