Sandy punctuation

I came across this scene late in the day on a large area of sand dunes. It immediately made me wonder why there was an exclamation mark in the sand. Although it looked as though the Marram grass had been placed there, I could not see footprints anywhere near. With the low sun and thus long shadow of the exclamation mark it fascinated me as it certainly seemed to be in the middle of ‘nowhere’.

Specific Feedback Requested

What attracted me to this was the purity of the long shadow and the small ball of sand that together made the punctuation mark, and also the clean sand ripples. I arranged the shot so that the shadow and also the perspective of the sand ripples stretched from corner to corner, and the indentations in the ripples were in one area of the scene to create a bit more interest. What do you think? Or is the entire photo a bit minimalist and simple?

Technical Details

1/100s, f6.3, ISO 100
LR, cropped and minor white balance adjustment.

2 Likes

I think this is a great image. To me minimalist and simple are very positive words. Well seen and a great composition. Nothing to improve here.

I really like this composition. It is definitely not too minimalist. Actually, I think that learning to simplify compositions is one of the key marks of a more mature landscape photographer. If this were my image, I’d be tempted to warm color of the sand a bit, but that is my own personal bias.

You have to look at the large version to fully appreciate this. Phil, it is a really special image. I like the shadows and the one blade of grass. This works on many levels. It might also work nicely in B&W…Wonderful image.

I think this is a wonderful image. I’ve started looking for more minimalist shots lately too. I’m glad that others are appreciating them. I think the rippled BG allows this image to work well. Very nice.

Thankyou for those comments @Ola_Jovall @David_Bostock @Donna_Callais @jefflafrenierre, much appreciated.
Jeff, the image was originally a bit warmer, but I cooled it down a bit thinking it was too warm. The sun was fairly low at the time. Have posted the original for you to assess.
Also a B&W version David.
Overall, I still think I prefer the orinally posted version, although the B&W one seems OK to me too.

White balance from camera

B&W version (obviously)

1 Like

I think you executed your vision for this image quite well. To me this has a very nice balance of simplicity and interest. Very nice.

Phil,

My first thought on seeing this was Wow! Then I read your title and thought how fitting. I like your first version best. It has good contrast and rich color which I think add so much to the photo. Great job.

Thanks Dean and Yuossef, I appreciate your comments. Cheers.

Phil,

Outstanding! Love this image. So simple, yet so profound. The title is great, although this is an image that doesn’t even need a title to be enjoyed and appreciated.

I have nothing to suggest. Love this as presented.

I like what you’re saying here. In fact, despite the obvious repeating patter of the drifting, wind-blown sand, it is actually that shadow that steals the show. Yeah, a mystery how that stalk of grass got there - I suppose it could have been placed some time ago and the wind took care of the foot prints… but no matter… a great find and a fantastic image!

Lon

Thankyou Lon. I didn’t previously give this image much thought when deciding what to post here recently and am still feeling my way around NPN, so am pleased, and a bit surprised, that it garnered the kind comments that it has. I had though that it may be too minimalist for most.

Thanks for your feedback with my recent images, they have been very helpful, and encouraging. Especially after I looked through the images on your website. They are truly BEAUTIFUL and emotive. The latter is important to me and unless the image in my viewfinder (or screen these days… sighing for the earlier times) creates some sort of emotion for me I just don’t press the shutter. Obviously I don’t take anywhere as many photos as I used to once, but they are much more satisfying than just a lot of clutter in my computer.
Cheers, Phil.

1 Like