Shifting sands

While out in a sandstorm, I was fascinated by this scene of a large dune rapidly encroaching on other areas of sand. It just reminded me how dynamic our landscapes are…whether that be short-term as in dunes during a sandstorm or long-term as in our mountains undergoing slow shifts along, under, and over our main faultines.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments and suggestions very welcome.

Technical Details

1/800s, f11, ISO400
18mm
Just a very minor crop and slight sharpening.

3 Likes

I agree with you on the dynamic aspect. It’s fun to visit locations at different times of the day or year, or under different conditions. Things can really change.

This one took a while for my eye to sort out. The contrast is so subtle and the lines so competing it is a lot to absorb. The low contrast was probably a conscious personal choice, but when I play with increasing it I sure like some of the lines that become more obvious in the sand.

Beautiful composition, Phil. I really like the soft contrast. And the lines in the sand are fantastic, leading me into the scene. Well done.

I love the subtle lines and textures. One has to look closely to really see and appreciate them. The large dune does look like a wave rolling across the shore. This is a wonderful image as it is not your usual dune shot. Nicely done.

What a beautiful composition. The editing you did is perfect. Love the lighting and the subtle tones. You can spend a long time looking at this image. Well done.

I find this image very soothing which is kind of silly to say because it’s about a sand storm. I think the subtle lines and contrast takes away the threat of the situation. It takes on more of a misty, less intense situation. More contrast would probably add that back into the photo. I like it very much.

Thanks for your comments John. I did try a version with more contrast but felt that it didn’t then convey the ‘sand storm’ feeling that was the motivation for the photo in the first place.
Your comments make me think, once again, of the dilemma I have when processing an image. Do I go with the original feeling and motivation of the photo with a wee bit of processing to tidy tjhings up OR do I process it in whichever way is needed to create an image that may be much improved but not true to any vision I had when capturing it. 50:50 I guess.
Thankyou for reminding me of that. Cheers.

1 Like

Thankyou for your kind comments @David_Bostock @Donna_Callais @Mozzam_Hosein @Chris_Baird . Much appreciated. In processing, I tried to make sure that the scene was true to my feelings at the time of capture so that the ‘moodiness’, in this case the low contrast and subtle tones and features, were maintained. Cheers.

2 Likes