Sandy timeline

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is another photo taken at Farewell Spit at the top of the South Island in NZ where, with every windy day (often every day), the very fine sand shifts significantly into a myriad of patterns. We have spent many enjoyable days here capturing some of those patterns that will often last just a day before they are ‘reshuffled’ overnight.

In this image, an overnight layering of sandy tongues overlies layers created created during the previous few days during winds from different directions.

Specific Feedback

All comments are welcome. In particular, I am interested in whether this image has enough interest to hold your attention, for a wee while anyway.

Technical Details

ISO 400, 1/640s, f/11
45mm

1 Like

Wonderful image. Love the abstract the sand makes and the soft feel of the sand - I want to sink my feet into the sand - after I photograph it, of course!. I cannot think of anything I would change, unless you want to play with different crops or add a bit of contrast. This could also be in abstract critiques.

Well seen, Phil! I love abstract images, and sand patterns. You did a wonderful job in composing this as that oblique line is visually strong. Giving more to the top layer over the other layer of sand creates the balance you need here. Also, even though that oblique line is strong, the flow of sand pattern grabs our attention right away. Very clean composition!

Dang, that is an outstanding abstract! Definitely holds my attention. I get a strong sense of layering, as you described. The three different patterns complement each other well.

It certainly does have enough to hold my attention. I spent a little bit looking at all the textures and the different directions the sand has been pushed into. Great job managing all those and putting together a frame that has enough differences, but also cohesion in terms of subject. I do wonder if the dark fold has had the shadows lifted a bit much. The placement is good and I like the nearer sand in the corner as it has yet another pattern. Terrific!

Thankyou @robertakayne, @brenda_tharp, @Bonnie_Lampley, and @Kris_Smith for your comments. I’m pleased that you like this one as I really wasn’t sure whether sand patterns hold enough interest without some other feature.

I tried adding a bit of contrast, Roberta, but in the end preferred the softer, low contrast version.

You are quite right Kristen, I did lift the shadow a wee bit much. Initially the shadow was quite black so I lifted it a bit to try and create a softer looking scene, but I can see now that it was a bit much. Thanks.

1 Like

I meant to comment earlier, as this grabbed my attention right away. It is wonderful and mesmerizing, with engaging structure and tonalities!! My only suggestion is frame and hang!! I can see it in a very high end home or gallery!

Thanks for your comments Diane, much appreciated. The comments on this have taken me by surprise actually as I wasn’t sure if it had enough interesting elements to keep attention within the frame. Cheers.

Phil this is such a unique image. I have no sense of scale. Wonderful abstract feeling. Well done.

Cheers,
David

Phil,

What a fantastic image! I love sand image - I won’t even call it a dune image, cause it’s not, really.

Love the comments and observations too - I don’t want to repeat, but I can’t help it. I too love the complimentary patterns, the opposing and directional patterns… And the lack of scale really gets the imagination rolling.

I’m at a loss to suggest anything. The brightness and contrasts just seem appropriate. Hard to explain why.

Most excellent Phil!

@David_Bostock and @Lon_Overacker. Thankyou for those very kind comments. I gave no thought to the sense of scale when I posted this one, but the scene was about 50cm across and there is just a tiny crop off of the RHS. I am so used to posting in the Landscape section that is where it went, but I realised soon afterward that I should have posted it in Abstract Nature instead. Will pay more attention next time.
Cheers.

1 Like

Hi Phil :slight_smile:

I find this image very inviting and interesting and it does hold my attention quite well.
To me, I see what looks like a weathered decking board covered in part by loose sand. That makes it very cohesive with structure, I say this mostly because of the texture that creates highlights and shadows at what appears to be a gap.
The “board” is covered by loose sand sculpted by the wind and even merges with the highs and lows of the wood grain.
At least that’s what my interpretation is, I’m probably way off but does it matter? :slight_smile:

Bottom line is it’s an enjoyable image with lots to explore. :slight_smile:

You know I just had to look this up on Google maps, what an interesting place with a sheep ranch, seals, native and migratory birds, horses and a skeleton of some sort of unidentified prehistoric creature on display. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing this, Phil :slight_smile:

Hi Merv
Thanks for taking a look and for your comments.
We have always found this area wonderful for photography. As well as a very long sandy spit, there are wild coastal areas, rocky deep water and tidal flat areas, and a huge tidal estuary. The one disappointment for us is that the cafe at the base of the spit that gave wonderful uninterupted views over the area burned down a few years ago :cry:
The skeleton of the ‘prehistoric creature’ you refer to is a pilot whale skeleton. It is there because the spit is the unfortunate location of frequent mass whale strandings, some of which are very significant. In 2017, for instance, over 400 whales stranded. It is a very sad sight to behold, and while there is always a lot of effort going into refloating them, it is often (usually?) futile and most whales die. If you search for “Farewell Spit whale strandings” you will find plenty of photos of this.

Cheers.