Santa Rita Fruits #2

Same comp as a previous image, but different light and different time of year. The extremely wet monsoon season in Tucson (greater than 14 inches where I live) transformed everything . The withered pads of this cactus became plump once again, and, the really big surprise, they lost their purple color All the Santa Rita cactuses lost their purple pads. These cactuses have always been purple since I’ve lived here, but, apparently, when there is plenty of moisture, the pads green-up considerably, though it’s more of a blue-green instead of the yellow-green, like the Prickly Pear cactus. The fruits stayed purple (luckily), which created a nice contrast with the pads.

This was some taken in the shade just as the sun was setting. Much softer light than the last one, which I sort of like.

Specific Feedback Requested

This image is photograph combined with some edge sketching in post-processing. The sketching also tends to enhance the color, which I like. However, I still want it to look photographic so hoping that still comes through.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
This is a focus-blend of 6 images.

3 Likes

Wow! The colors are fantastic! And I love the sharpness of the image – so appropriate for the subject. I need to play with that effect – I finally decided I was intelligent enough to try to figure out your panels, and I’m loving it!! Should have done it a very long time ago!

So interesting about the color change. I wonder if the purple is a protective measure when the plant is more vulnerable to predation. Some plants like small maples and hepatica use red coloring in the leaves for different purposes. The maples when they’re seedlings often come in red or pink so that they won’t get eaten; red being a warning signal in nature. Hepatica leaves do it to protect against frost; there is something in the chemical that keeps the leaves from breaking down at a cellular level due to ice crystals. I wonder…

But you shot is terrific. Still looks like a photo, but that drawing effect brings up some structure that might not otherwise be noticed. The only thing I’d do is clone out a couple of the spines - the two white ones near the top. Especially the URC.

1 Like

I also think the colors are fantastic and otherworldly. The arrangement is wonderful. Good color, form and texture. I’ve seen lots of prickly pear but never anything this color.

The colors grabbed my attention. Great sharpness throughout.

What a wonderful image. The composition, colors, and textures are fabulous.

Tony: I’ve been on a prolonged sabbatical and just now trying to get back into posting and commenting. This immediately grabbed my attention. The color palette is very pleasing and your edge treatment is just right. Superbly crafted image.>=))>