Savannah Sparrow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This bird got me thinking about how much luck and serindipity play a role in bird photography. I was walking towards the beach when this sparrow flew out of some brush, landed on a piece of driftwood, gave me a few seconds, and then flew off.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 Tx at 700 mm; 1/1250 at f10, -1/3 EV; ISO 640

Allen, the first thing that strikes me in this beautiful image is the color palette. It is perfect to have the BG mimic the sparrow’s colors. Your image is very sharp where it needs to be. I really cannot think of anything to suggest that would make this image look any better. You got yourself a winner here.

Thank you, Egidio, for your positive comments.

1 Like

Lovely, with very nice light. I wonder if the whites could be subdued just a little, but not a big deal. There is some granular texture on the rock edge just right of the leg – some artifact of sharpening? The feather detail looks good so just a quick clone would fix it.

I’m not a fan of negative space and would crop some from the right, but that’s just my particular (peculiar?) taste.

1 Like

Beautiful light, Allen. I agree with @Diane_Miller that the highlights could come down just a bit to bring out some more detail in the throat. Given the pose, I think a vertical crop would also work very well for this image.

1 Like

Allen, I like your comments about the luck and serendipity of bird photography and you seem to be prepared to take advantage of most situations. Nice quick work on the Sparrow. My critique would be similar to @Diane_Miller regarding taking down the whites and highlights and a slightly softer tone on the back feathers.

1 Like