Savannah Sparrow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was in a field waiting for short-eared owls to fly this morning when this sparrow came in close. I think this is a Savannah Sparrow which is a species I don’t see too often.

Specific Feedback

The bird was nice enough to perch where I could line up a fairly clean BG. I didn’t do any cloning, etc. I could take out the branch coming from his/her chest - any thoughts?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 1600, f6.3, 1/2500s, hand held

Nice pose and composition. Background works well with the sparrow. I’d be tempted to take out the branch, but then I tend to do a lot of pruning and if you hadn’t brought it up, I wouldn’t have noticed. Are you considering the 200-800? A lot of reach with the R7.

I’ve thought about the 200-800. The f9 aperture is giving me pause even though at 600 it’s f8. I’ve been holding out to see if Sigma or Tamron will be allowed to produce a super telephoto zoom. Plus the limited availability of the 200-800 is a factor for me too. My 400 DO II has been working quite well in the meantime.

Thank you for the comments.

Hi Allen, I really like the pose you caught with him looking back and the smooth BG with similar hues really presents him well. Nice detail in the feathers too; how to handle that twig is really a toss up; not distracting for me. Nice image overall.

Definitely a Savannah, Allen, and a very nice image of one. The twigs don’t bother me and you had a lovely background.

Excellent as always! I love how the feet seem to be barely able to hang on with these small branches. I think the branch coming out of the chest is attractive and balances the others – I would leave it. I would consider a slightly tighter crop from the left and top, though. There is a lot of visual weight in the LR corner.

The 200-800 sounds worth some thought!