Song Sparrow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Song Sparrows are one of the most common birds around and I’ve probably taken hundreds of images of them, but it was the perch that caught my attention. The background on the left is natural, but I cloned it in on the right side to cover up a tangle of distracting brambles.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 700 mm; 1/1000 at f10; ISO 6400

Very nice job, Allen. I don’t detect any artifacts of the cloning. I think the bulk of the perch on the left makes the composition work well even with the bird having relatively little room in front of it.

1 Like

This is such a pleasant calming image Allen. It has wonderful warm colors. Nice look right in the eye of this sparrow. I can hear it singing. You did a nice job with your cloning. I do see a couple of very minor artifacts on the largest version around the tree stump and the moss. The moss has lots of good detail, and great color too.

1 Like

Allen this is a lovely portrait of this bird. Good detail and I like the framing.

There are a few elements that do not make sense to me. The birds tail feathers suggest that you have blurred the BG and it does not look natural. The more concerning aspect is that the foliage on the right is sharp and its at the front, the bird is sharp and its at the back and yet the log in-between is oof. Sorry if I have got this all wrong but it does not gel with me.

1 Like

Hi Allen, love the earth tones in this image. Good focus on the bird which being partially behind the perch renders the closest the part out of focus (my interpretation anyway). The tail seems to have black smudging and doesn’t seem natural as stated by Mark above. Overall a fine image.

1 Like