Scene from the Serengeti

Thank you for looking and offering any critiques or suggestions. I am only here to learn and develop my hobby, so any and all feedback is welcomed.

This was shot last February in Tanzania. A simple scene that must play out countless times. I was trying to show the wildebeest’s acceptance of the hard reality that is the circle of life.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Olympus OMD EM1ii w\ Pan-Leica 100-400; 1/400s, f/6.3, ISO 200 @400mm

Hi Timothy. You did a good job getting a sharp focus on the main action. One suggestion for shooting is to raise your iso. 200 is fine for still lifes and some landscape, but for wildlife and birds, higher shutter speeds are your friend and modern cameras and noise reduction software allow you to routinely use much higher iso values. As for the image, I think you may have tried to include a bit too much. I like the idea of the Wildebeest looking on or the Zebras’ apparent indifference, but both together just makes for a bit too much.

I’ve done a couple of quick alternate crops that you might take a look at to give you an idea of what I’m talking about.

My personal preference is for the first.

I agree with the suggestions of a tighter crop. I really like the out of focus wildebeest looking at the action.

My vote goes to the third compositions, IMHO it works better.

Thanks for the comments. I see what you are saying about the crops, I’ll certainly try those out and live with them a bit to see what sticks.