Scenic Grazing

Moose grazing on early Spring grasses with the Alaska Chugach Mountain Range behind them. When I saw them near the side of the road, my first impulse was to grab the big lens and shoot close-ups but then it dawned on me that the landscape in the background was pretty great also so I grabbed the camera with the wide angle lens and took this shot (I also got some close-up shots).

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

This is another re-post to get a critique from Julie. She mentioned that she really liked wildlife photos that were more open and showed their environmental context. This is pretty much a landscape photo with moose in it. Is that too much environment and not enough wildlife to be considered a wildlife photo? I think it’s appropriate for both but would like to hear Julie’s take on it.

Technical Details

Sony a6300, SEL1670Z @ 58mm (87mm w/crop factor), ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/1000, hand held.

1 Like

I love the sweeping landscape and panoramic setting !
Moose on both sides of frame is big plus.
You may crop out the edge of tree on RHS.

PS. You forgot to tag it for Julie Steelman. You may try to do it now, I couldn’t do it now.

I also like wildlife in habitat, so I am glad that you shared this image with us. Love your dog-in-landscape images every time as well.
As you commented, the landscape is great. Brings me back almost 40 years, when I visited Alaska after a crazy trip camping with a small group, driving a van, starting in San Francisco. Driving to Alaska in 3 weeks, madness. Fortunately my wife and I had time left, so when the rest of us went home we had a good time in Alaska.
The only thing that bothers me a bit is the distance between the 2 moose. They are pretty far separated and my eye keeps shifting from left to right (sorry, @JRajput ). I would prefer them to be more close to each other.